Bad experiences with non-apple tech

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ochrejelly, Jun 18, 2011.

1. ochrejelly macrumors newbie

I don't know about you guys, but I've been have very bad experiences with tech that isn't apple. I don't have time, nor the inclination to try and fix or deal with the non-responding programs on my thinkpad, or the mountains of duplicate emails and contacts on my blackberry.

Using my laptop is a chore usually. For no reason the internet browser stops responding, doing simple tasks is a chore. I remember one time I installed a game on my family's desktop, and tried to play the game. I couldn't find it, even after I did a search for it (which took 10 mins). 20 minutes later I found it myself, because apparently the computer had no idea where it was.

How can people deal with this stuff? I like tech. Its there to make my life easier. When it doesn't, its just a pain in the ass.

However, every apple computer I've had was simple and intuitive to use. Definitely going for apple products from here on... the premium you pay for them is worth it.

What are you experiences with non-apple products? Do you find the extra money you spent on a apple products worth it?

Cheers!

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I use non-Apple products more often than not and don't have any problems. Perhaps it's user error ;)

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I like my Mac and iPod, but I have an Android phone that I use a lot and quite enjoy it. I also use Windows fairly often and have no problem with it.

4. ochrejelly thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha, maybe, but I hope not!:D

One great thing about the thinkpad I use is I'm not worried about damage, or it being stolen or whatever. That's great. Would be completely different with a macbook.

5. StvenH90 macrumors regular

I like the Thinkpad line from Lenovo (But I still think it was better when IBM still made them). Paired with a Blackberry is how I conducted personal and business for many years. But recently these devices have been needing more attention in trouble shooting, updates, and constant baby sitting. That I am wanting to try a Mac again, and maybe even transfer fully over (Including Server, etc).

But tomorrow, I am going to pick up a HTC Thunderbolt to hold me off till the new iPhone. My Blackberry Curve is just becoming unusable for some reason.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I buy Macs because of their good UI, simplicity, and general usability. I don't buy them for their reliability. ;) I don't believe they're more reliable. I've had lots of issues with Apple laptops in the past, but I don't believe that they're better or worse than other manufacturers in terms of reliability (although they're probably above average).

7. StvenH90 macrumors regular

They use the same hardware as any other manufacture. I am wanting to lean toward Mac for home use, as I am just to damn lazy to search for drivers, fight the common cold, and while still trying to enjoy life after work. Macs hardware is no more reliable then Lenovo IMHO...

I would try Linux again, when it's setup nicely it's reliable. But I never liked the UI, I should note, it's been at least 4-5 years since I used Linux.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I just switched back to Windows full time (no more OS X) and so far, the only issue I've had was with an immature graphics driver. I chatted with Dell's tech support briefly, they confirmed that the driver sucks, and I went on my merry way knowing that, since the entire internet hates the way it works, it will be updated soon!

I've never had any issus the OP is describing, and in fact have been so amazed by the pleathora of features that have been added to Windows since XP, that I am only now just realizing how backwards Apple is!

9. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I'm pretty technically inclined but I can't say the same for my family. I was always the go to guy for fixing computer problems and what not when we were using windows, but every since I switched to Mac everything has been a dream.

No more looking for drivers, waiting on security updates, and best of all when my family does need help with their computer(which is 2k miles away) i can remote to their screen from iChat and fix it for them without calling and having to explain every step in explicit detail.

for me it saves me a lot of time

10. rovex macrumors 65816

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I use Dell, home built computers, Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony equipment all the time without any problems.
    Maybe I'm just that good. Or more likely maybe I'm just not a fanboy.