Bad external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eric052492, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Eric052492 macrumors member

I've been having a lot of issues with my time machine drive lately. First it would get stuck on preparing backup, so I decided to reformat it. Now when I try to back up my computer, it gets to about 2gb backed up and then it says it failed. I tried going into the disk utility to repair the disk, but when I click repair, its as if the hard drive ejects from the computer, any ideas? Is my hard drive dead maybe? I've had it one month short of two years.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

It sounds like it might be dead. The easiest thing to do is plug another external drive in and see if TM can successfully use it. With luck you might be under warranty with the external, and can get it replaced.

3. Eric052492 thread starter macrumors member

The only other external hard drive I have has about 120gb of music and videos on it (it won't all fit on my mac mini) I guess I'll just have to go out and buy another and if it still doesn't work, return it.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Or keep the new drive and back up the 120GB of music and videos that currently (I'm guessing) aren't backed up anywhere :eek:

5. Eric052492 thread starter macrumors member

Currently I have a 320gb hard drive which has all my media stored on it and the time machine drive was like my second assurance that it was backed up.

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Good for you :) Losing an un-backed-up external drive is, unfortunately, a common problem in these forums

7. Eric052492 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a lot for your help. The broken drive was a lacie 250gb. I swapped it out and threw in an old 35gb hard drive I had from an old dell, just so i can back up my music until I get a new drive.