Bad Firewire Port?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by groove-agent, Dec 27, 2010.

1. groove-agent macrumors 6502a

Hello all,

So I'm wondering if I somehow have a bad firewire chip in my MBP. It hasn't been able to work with firewire audio interfaces.

* I tried a Metric Halo ULN 2 which loses sync with it's audio. It will be fine for a few minutes with itunes but then becomes distorted and ringy as if it's lost it's audio sync. I posted on their forum and nobody else has had this problem.
    * random kernel panics while using Logic 9, Garageband 11 with an Apogee Duet - all software fully updated. One time it froze while not doing anything - logic was simply open and sitting there. Using iTunes through the Duet seems fine.
    * pops and crackles using Presonus Firestudio.

I've tried wiping my software and reinstalling everything. I'm using a MBP 5,3 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM, Snow Leopard (10.6.5) with the latest updates.

I'm not too sure what to do. I'm going to try an Apogee One which is USB, but I'd really like to use a firewire interface. If there's something wrong with my firewire port, i'd like it taken care of. My machine is under applecare 3 year warranty. I don't think this is an easy thing to prove though.

Any suggestions or users with similar problems?

2. AmethystZhou macrumors newbie