Bad for processor?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CW Jones, May 9, 2010.

1. CW Jones macrumors 6502

Hey guys and gals I have a 15" MBP with the 2.66Ghz Processor, I got it September 2009 so its NOT the i7. I have been ripping a DVD to my hard drive for about 2 hours now already and it says 30minutes to go. Does this type of load harm the processor at all? Its been above %150 cpu usage for the whole time. The fans are running at about 3500rpms and the cpu is at 176* right now. Long movie in HD that's why its taking so long.

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

No, it does not harm the processor, unless you do it 24/7 for several weeks perhaps.

Btw, the transcoding process might be faster, if you rip the DVD to your HDD first, via MacTheripper, RipIt or FairMount, and then start the transcoding process via Handbrake and load the ripped Video_TS folder, which is now stored on your HDD.

Btw, video DVDs are in Standard Definition (SD) and not in High Definition (HD).

3. CW Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

My bad lol so its SD :)

I can't get it to rip in the correct format now anyways so IDK what is going on here.... I keep making it .mp4 and it wont open with Quicktime, VLC, or itunes. I ripped the 2nd Boondock Saints movie like 2 months ago and it worked fine, but now with Avatar I can't get it to rip correctly. So after 3 hours of waiting.... nothing doesn't open, doesn't play...

4. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

No I run Boinc at 100% cpu usage on my Intel Atom server 24/7 no problem.

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Try ripping with handbrake + vlc. On the slide out menu select the "high profile" setting. I've ripped a lot of cd's to m4v using those settings and have had no problems running them in either quicktime or vlc.

I have a June 2009 13" mbp and your rip times and temps look normal to me.

6. FnuGk macrumors regular

your battery is more likely to suffer from the heat rather than the cpu itself

7. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

Unless the CPU goes past its operating temp, damage should not occur. The highest it can go is I think between 210F-220F

8. CW Jones thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info! I was just worried after my like 5th try at this process that I was going to start damaging something. Good to know it will be fine tho!