Bad graphics- what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BiggAW, May 20, 2013.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I have determined that my MBP has a bad graphics card. I wouldn't really care except that you can't run an external display without the graphics card. It works fine with it's internal display using the Intel graphics.

Am I going to have to replace the whole logic board for $900? Is there anything else to try first?

Here's some more history on it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1582898

2. AlexMaximus macrumors 6502

AlexMaximus

Go on eBay and type in "BGA repair".
    There are actually really excellent repair shops out there for puting in new gpu's in Macbook Pros. It should be arround 200 bucks, last time I checked.
    Since 2008, there has been a market demand because of nvidias troubled 8600 gpu chips in mbp 2008 models.
    Also google BGA repair on MBP, you should be able to find numerous options.

3. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I should have mentioned in the OP- mine's an early 2011, with an ATI Radeon graphics card. It seems like a similar problem, the connection between the graphics card and the logic board? For a few days, it would work when the machine was cold, and then when it would warm up, it would go on the fritz. Now it doesn't work at all, at least the couple of times I've tried it.

4. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Is this issue really widespread? I upgraded from an early 2008 MacBook Pro (the one with the notorious nVidia graphics card issue) and now have a late 2011 MacBook Pro, same model as you. It would be funny in a very sad way if this system also has a graphics failure issue.

6. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

That's what I'm trying to figure out. There clearly is a latent defect issue going on here, but it's tough to pin down exactly how widespread it is (or how widespread the 2010 Nvidia issue was for that matter).