Bad HD or going bad Logic Board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cjordan230, Jul 8, 2011.

1. cjordan230 macrumors newbie

So I have a 2009 Macbook pro 2.26 4gb of ram and for 3 months now it has given me issues with lagging and beach balling... It freezes when I type then catches up and finishes what I typed. I have done a reinstall 3 times, replace the SATA cable on it and still getting the issue. Now I have notice that a restart work for only a short time. I have clean the computer's files several times. I do notice it more in internet programs but that could be a coincidence. So in comes my question:

Should I replace my LB or HD?

Please tell me any info you have.

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If there's no harsh vibrations, clicking noises, grinding noises, groaning noises, or beeping noises, then it's your logic board.
    Chances are you did some static damage when you replaced some components a few years back. Static damage is unnoticeable for a long time, up to a year or more. It looks like that static damage has started to show its damage now.
    If I am right about the static, it's gonna be an expensive repair. If not, then it's a relatively cheap hard drive replacement.
    Do not take any action until you have identified the problem, or else you will end up wasting $50-150 depending on the HDD you want to buy.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd start with a HDD replacement first. It will be less expensive and easier.

4. cjordan230 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I did my fix a month ago it was at my buddy's computer shop so static wouldn't be an issue but I may have bad sectors... How can I tell that?

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Try defragging. It should show up as unmovable or fragmented.
    So do you hear any of the noises I listed?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really the only way to find bad sectors is to pull the HDD and connect it to a Windows PC and run the DOS program SpinRite from www.grc.com. It's an awesome HDD maintenance and recovery program. I use it a lot.

7. cjordan230 thread starter macrumors newbie

When I place my ear on the machine near the hd... I do hear something moving but nothing that would sound like a bad drive...

Can a hd cause a freezing issue?

8. cjordan230 thread starter macrumors newbie

How do you defrag on a Mac?

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Oh yes, most certainly it can cause freezes.