Bad Headphone Jack?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Nov 14, 2014.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Friend recently picked up a new iPhone 6. When plugging in his headphones everything is usually fine, however he noticed if he turns the earpods in the headphone jack, he gets some crackling and uneven sound through the headphones.

He noticed this when the phone was in his pocket, as he moved it must've twisted the headphone connector within the jack, alerting him to this.

Curious if this is a common issue, and he's more curious how involved a repair at Apple would be - the phone is pristine otherwise and he is not really interested in having the phone torn down for Apple to replace that since it's fairly minor - but if the headphone jack can just be popped right out right from the headphone jack port, he's more interested in having it fixed. Doubt Apple would replace the whole phone?

Looked for a repair on iFixit, but they just have the teardown - but based on that it kind of looks like the phone has to come completely apart.

So, is this a common issue with the headphone jacks on the 6 and is it a straightforward repair or does Apple just replace the phone?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Step one, see if it's the headphones or phone -- try his headphones in a different phone, try different headphones in his phone.

If it's the phone, I'd expect they'll just swap it out rather than perform a repair in the store. I could be wrong of course. :)

3. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I had to return an iPhone 6 because of this. Tried multiple headphone sets and the crackling was consistent throughout. Def a factory defect.