Bad iMac G5

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
147
0
I'm writing this from work after hours because my iMac G5 is down, awaiting its third logic board and second power supply.

Why? Because something is sizzling and smoking in the machine. I've already have one logic board fail. What is the problem with these G5s?

Certainly, this is not normal, but is it normal for Apple to keep putting faulty parts in my computer? I notice my AppleCare terms say that they have the right to repair my machine with second-hand parts (what a great value). Is this the problem? My guess is probably.

I even asked if I could just get a replacement or refund, but the AppleCare people refuse and even refused to let me speak to a supervisor. Their solution is to keep getting the machine repaired, no matter how many times it fails.

I probably couldn't even sell it on eBay now, after going through so many repairs.
 

ldenman

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
229
0
if you are gonna sell it...dont tell anyone,it will be our secret. :)
but yes, that really sucks. It is comments like these that make me question whether to get one. Then i look at them and get happy and then decide, why not?
 

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
147
0
Apples are great if you can get one that works. I had a G3 for three years and never had a problem. So comparing it to the G5 that's had numerous repairs in nine months ... well, it's frustrating. Especially since the warranty apparently means repairs, but no replacements.
 

ldenman

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2005
229
0
yea, i agree, frustrating would be the word to use. It is sort of silly that they will not just replace the the thing...i mean, its smoking! Anyhow, good luck with it and let us know if you get it all figured out.
 

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
8,643
0
Smallville said:
Why? Because something is sizzling and smoking in the machine. I've already have one logic board fail. What is the problem with these G5s?
It's the ants, they love those tasty iMacs.
 

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
1,896
0
My house!
Well it could be something else besides the logicboard and powersupply. If something keeps going wrong after these replacements then it must be something else. It could be anything from the RAM you put into it, to a fault display, etc...

The best way to solve it for you as the customer is to have Apple just ship you a new iMac and let them take the time to figure out what exactly it was.

You paid for a Mac that is supposed to be working and it isn't.
 

g4cubed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2004
548
3
Depending on which state you live in, you may be able to get a new one under the Lemon Law. Ohio has one, where I live. Check your state regs. Good luck.
 

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
1,675
0
Providence, RI
Smallville said:
I'm writing this from work after hours because my iMac G5 is down, awaiting its third logic board and second power supply.

Why? Because something is sizzling and smoking in the machine. I've already have one logic board fail. What is the problem with these G5s?

Certainly, this is not normal, but is it normal for Apple to keep putting faulty parts in my computer? I notice my AppleCare terms say that they have the right to repair my machine with second-hand parts (what a great value). Is this the problem? My guess is probably.

I even asked if I could just get a replacement or refund, but the AppleCare people refuse and even refused to let me speak to a supervisor. Their solution is to keep getting the machine repaired, no matter how many times it fails.

I probably couldn't even sell it on eBay now, after going through so many repairs.
Try calling again and ask to speak to a supervisor or product specialist. If you tell him/her how many times this thing has been repaired and show your frustration, I'm sure they'll replace it for you. You have to be persistent, that's all.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
Smallville, I have three words for you: email, email, email.

Call a local Apple store and w/out stating any reasons, ask for the store manager's email; if he/she won't give you the email, state your reason as a complaint. Then email w/ a very firm but civil tone and explain (along w/ dates and reference/case numbers) all this drama your poor iMac has been through.

You will get results this way.
 

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
147
0
Unfortunately, the "product specialist" claims he has final authority and refused to let me speak to a supervisor/manager.

My local Apple store told me that they will only do what the AppleCare service deems appropriate.

A message posted on the Apple iMac service forum was removed.

I have no idea why they insist on more repairs when this computer is obviously severely flawed.

If I have to put more parts in this computer in another three months, I will personally take this computer back to the Apple Store two hours from my home and leave it with them, whether they want it or not.

I wish I didn't have to do this.

By the way, if, and that's a big if, they decide to replace the machine, is there anyway I can save my hard drive and not lose all my data (other than burning three DVDs worth of files)?
 

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
772
1
In a Mauve Dream
Smallville said:
I have no idea why they insist on more repairs when this computer is obviously severely flawed.
Well... considering they have replaced the logic board three times, and the PS twice... what else can be causing the problem? When Apple replaces a logic board, they only take the HD, RAM and Airport/Bluetooth out. So, when you get a new logocboard, it's like getting a new machine. My iMac G5 was just in the shop because my screen was acting up. Of course, it was a failing video card, but Apple exchanged the whole logic board: so I also got a "new" processor.

The PS, logic board and processor are the most important part of a Mac. It sounds like you just have had bad luck. Sorry friend, hang in there.
 

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
2,174
2
Las Vegas, NV
Smallville said:
By the way, if, and that's a big if, they decide to replace the machine, is there anyway I can save my hard drive and not lose all my data (other than burning three DVDs worth of files)?
As unfortunate as you've been with the multiple repairs, consider yourself lucky that you can fit all your data onto just 3 DVDs.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
Smallville said:
Unfortunately, the "product specialist" claims he has final authority and refused to let me speak to a supervisor/manager.

My local Apple store told me that they will only do what the AppleCare service deems appropriate.
That's why I said, email. When I had issues w/ an Apple store, one email and BOOM I had their instant attention. Try to get any email address. Email w/ a full description; if/when you get the email of someone higher up on the ladder, forward the previous emails w/ another current explanation.

It really seems like Apple as a company, responds much faster and politely to email versus the phone. That has been my own experience.

Oh, and another thread w/ another MRer who had more success by way of email.
 

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
147
0
Well, it's been another week, and no repairs have been made and still no talking them into replacing the machine. Plus, my office still smells of burnt wire, no matter how much I try to air out that room. The computer just smells.

So, I did the only thing I knew to do. I'm in the process of filing a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

I told them my story and they said I had a valid claim, considering I had to answer a series of Apple's "safety questions."

The BBB told me that there have been over 500 formal complaints in the last three years and over two-thirds are considered "sucessfully resolved," which means people got what they wanted.

I'm told that when the paperwork arrives in the mail, fill it out, then write up a letter claiming the grievence and state how I would like the matter resolved.

I was told to do this even if the computer is repaired in the next few weeks.

I agree. So, here goes nothing.
 

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
15,532
2
Smallville said:
Let us know how it all pans out, good luck! Hope you end up w/a shiny new rev. B iMac G5 (assuming you want one, that is).
 

gregorydanger

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2004
53
0
Michigan
Eh.

This may be slightly off topic but I had an issue with my iMac G5 and I don't seem to be the only one.

The product, as an idea, is lovely. A 2-inch thick G5 desktop that fits behind the screen. Amazing in concept. In reality, apparently it's a 50/50 chance that you'll get one that doesn't give you problems (keyword: apparently).

I purchased an iMac G5 a while back (rev. A) and returned it within a hot minute. I've been around loud computers before but this one was ridiculous. The fans were constantly at full-blast even when all I was running was the Finder (which I have no choice doing really) -- even in reduced processer mode, those fans were going like there was no tomorrow. By the 3rd day of having the machine, I returned it, paid the restocking fee, and washed my hands of an awful experience.

Before I did any of that, I called Apple to ask them what could be done and they told me nothing -- essentially telling me it was my fault and said I'd probably placed the product in a room that was too hot (it was not) and there was nothing they could do.

I would've loved to keep that machine and all of the beauty that went along with it but the thing was just too damned annoying to deal with. Since then, I've gone back to using my iBook as my main computer and until Apple can find a way to actually make their product be delivered as promised I'll stick with what I've got.

Sorry to hear your story, I sympathize.
 

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
5,693
1
LaLaLand, CA
Yeah, I love Apple and all, but this is ridiculous. They are only the sum of their parts, and you seem to have gotten a bad computer and bad customer service. No matter what, next time demand to talk to a supervisor. Be nice about it, but stern. And may I recommend a different power strip. Preferrably a surge protector. Just in case.
 

Smallville

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2004
147
0
Surge protector is fine.

Today's update:

The on-site repair guy came and installed a new logic board (No. 3) and not a power supply.

Couldn't have been more than 20 minutes after he left that the same damn thing happened! Some burnt wire smell, a pop, and no computer.

I watched him replace the parts and there was a good bit of scorched metal around the power supply and the metal plate that separates the logic board from the LCS. He said it was just discoloration and would be fine.

So, I called Apple back. I told them no way was I letting them put a fourth logic board in it. I drove it 90 minutes to the nearest Apple repair guy in Hailey (because I refused to wait another two weeks for an on-site repair again). If the store cannot repair the machine, I will have another.

The guy in Hailey said he has fixed five of these in the past two months and they are all power supply issues. He has no idea why another logic board was installed. He claims it will be ready in one day.

I told him, either way, repair or not, I have requested that Apple supply me a brand new machine. I sent off the formal complaint to the Better Business Bureau today.

We'll see how it goes.
 

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
726
0
Smallville said:
Surge protector is fine.

Today's update:

The on-site repair guy came and installed a new logic board (No. 3) and not a power supply.

Couldn't have been more than 20 minutes after he left that the same damn thing happened! Some burnt wire smell, a pop, and no computer.

I watched him replace the parts and there was a good bit of scorched metal around the power supply and the metal plate that separates the logic board from the LCS. He said it was just discoloration and would be fine.

So, I called Apple back. I told them no way was I letting them put a fourth logic board in it. I drove it 90 minutes to the nearest Apple repair guy in Hailey (because I refused to wait another two weeks for an on-site repair again). If the store cannot repair the machine, I will have another.

The guy in Hailey said he has fixed five of these in the past two months and they are all power supply issues. He has no idea why another logic board was installed. He claims it will be ready in one day.

I told him, either way, repair or not, I have requested that Apple supply me a brand new machine. I sent off the formal complaint to the Better Business Bureau today.

We'll see how it goes.
Good luck to you, sometimes you get a dud, happens with everthng even cars