Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGripR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
My friend is in the military and has been in Iraq for almost half a year and he lost his iPhone 4 before leaving. He reported it lost and put his service on military hold, but I found his iPhone after cleaning out his car (kinda just dumped it on me with POA). He said he would be getting iPhone 4s or 5 when he comes back and said I could have it. I took it to an AT&T store and they said the phone can't be used because it's been blocked. I've tried googling this topic and I'm so confused about what I can do with it. If I jailbreak it, can I use it?

iGripR

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
They gave you bad info.
AT&T doesn't blacklist any lost or stolen phones.
You can restore it with iTunes and pop in any AT&T sim and it will work fine.

Thanks for info Applejuiced I'm going try to cut my sim down for it to fit.

jesuispizza

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2011
I have no idea how AT&T works since I'm in Canada, but I think your buddy should phone them up and say he found the phone just in case it is flagged or something. You never know...

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
They gave you bad info.
AT&T doesn't blacklist any lost or stolen phones.

Where do you get this crap. Of course they do.

AT&T created the first IMEI Blacklist database as part of the CEIR Database and other GSM Association members needed to go through AT&T to add numbers to it for several years. The implementation is now managed by the GSM Association and no longer under control of a single carrier, but is part of the common IMEI Database.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.

AT&T created the first IMEI Blacklist database as part of the CEIR Database and other GSM Association members needed to go through AT&T to add numbers to it for several years. The implementation is now managed by the GSM Association and no longer under control of a single carrier, but is part of the common IMEI Database.

That is false.
I don't know where u get that crap but they do not blacklist imei numbers at AT&T USA.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010

Apple juiced is right. Pop in your sim and it works fine.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010

Agree with apple juice this is crap. There is no such thing as a common IMEI blacklist database. Carriers do blacklist phones in the UK for example and they share IMEI list but you can take a phone that is blocked in the UK and unlock it and use it in the US or elsewhere.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
The user above "thewitt" is well known for posting bad/wrong information in the forum.
I saw many of his posts before about Applecare and many other topics that he kept trying to misinform the public.
Not sure if he's that clueless or he does it on purpose but if he keeps it up its grounds for banning.
I will let the administration know about him.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
The IMEI DB also supports what is known as a "black list". The black list is a list of IMEIs that are associated with GSM or 3G devices that should be denied service on mobile networks because they have been reported as lost, stolen, faulty or otherwise unsuitable for use. Previously know as the Central Equipment Identify Register (CEIR), the IMEI DB acts as a central system for network operators to share their individual black lists so that devices denied service (blacklisted) by one network will not work on other networks even if the SIM card in the device is changed.

Source: http://www.gsmworld.com/our-work/programmes-and-initiatives/fraud-and-security/imei_database.htm

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
AT&T USA does not participate in that or any GSM IMEI blacklisting database.
Yep - and I have no reason to doubt that. I was just addressing the assertion by nebo1ss that there was "no such thing" - Well, yeah there is.

I haven't heard of AT&T blacklisting IMEIs either. The OP would do well to contact AT&T customer support directly with his IMEI number and find out if they can activate it, or if not - why not.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
AT&T USA does not participate in that or any GSM IMEI blacklisting database.

Actually they may had started to do that since they added the iPhone insurance (sometime in July), I know that once the IMEI had been involved into a "claim" they can't reactivated it (Legally, part of the insurance agreement). I am not sure if they actually got a "blacklist" but it is the only logical way to do it.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Actually they may had started to do that since they added the iPhone insurance (sometime in July), I know that once the IMEI had been involved into a "claim" they can't reactivated it (Legally, part of the insurance agreement). I am not sure if they actually got a "blacklist" but it is the only logical way to do it.

Interesting.
That might be the case with the AT&T insurance claim iphones only or maybe they dont bother at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.