Bad iTouch UI design elements

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bogman12, Oct 10, 2007.

1. bogman12 macrumors regular

I'll start the list, reply back with what you think should be improved upon with the UI..

1. My first nomination of a horrible design decision applies only when operating the iTouch with one hand:

While playing music with the cover art viewable in a horizontal position, the button to go back to the Artists list is located at the top left.(see fig below)

The button with the arrow pointing left is the one I'm refering to:
    [​IMG]

So you tap on it with your thumb to go back to the artist list.
    Then if you want to change to group-by Song or Album, you have to move the ipod around in your hand so your thumb can reach the button row of buttons.

I say Apple should move the "back" button to the bottom of the screen - right next to the Previous track button. Sure, it looks kind of weird in a non-symetrical kind of way. However this way, you can now operate most of the Touch's music functionalities without the need to ever move the ipod around in your hand.

I think this is a case of putting form before function. Sigh...

2. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

I have small hands and I can reach any part of the screen without repositioning, stop your bellyaching! :D The only complaint that I have about it (well something that I was really hoping for) is that when you are on the "Now Playing" area, you can't flip it around 180 degrees. While listening to my iPod in the car, the headphone jack is directly facing my dashboard (my car has a direct port for audio), so the music is always upside down. I guess that's Apple telling me to not mess with things while I'm driving!

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Fortunately, I'm a lefty so this doesn't apply, but I see what you're getting at. Trying to use it with my right hand only is somewhat uncomfortable, although only for that one button touch.

My nomination for this thread:

The fact that there's no option to make the password field visible when entering a wireless security password. I hate having to enter a 128-bit WEP key blind with a non-tactile keyboard. Come on, guys.

4. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

You can always hold the key for an extended period of time to see what button you are hitting (it shouldn't add multiple characters), right?

5. Football1maniac macrumors regular

Football1maniac

on the iPod touch when your on the now-playing screen, you can slide your finger right across the album art and it will take you back to the page you were recently viewing

6. Vigilante macrumors 6502a

Vigilante

Wow, I never knew that. It seemed to take a few tries to make it go back, but it works... this is why we need an all in one page for undocumented features-- the other post is way too sloppy. Does anyone have a page or .pdf or something with quick commands? There's still so many of these quick features I don't know. I would pay you with man love, if you are kind enough to accept. <3

Seems like it isn't helpful for lefties, sorry gloss :p

7. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Nice. Gloss likes.

8. bogman12 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean... it doesn't work for me. Are you talking about in the screen shot above with the macy gray art, just slide the thumb across the artwork? It doesn't work here..

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Just tried it and it works on mine. You have to slide left-to-right.

edit: Here's a video of my iPod - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuoKb6aMTuc

Well, yes, which is what I end up doing, but 26 characters at that pace is still a pain, and I'm enough of a chronic self-doubter to worry about it.

10. bogman12 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh it's more like a DOUBLE stroke... that works on mine, single stroke doesn't.

11. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

It's single, but you do have to touch it lightly. I've noticed that if it's a firm stroke it won't recognize the gesture. You almost just need to brush the screen with the tip of your thumb.