Bad Link In Finder Won't Go Away

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MagnusVonMagnum, Jul 13, 2008.

1. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I've got a folder link in Finder on the left hand side for a "Games" folder, but when I click on it, it says the volume cannot be found. Well, I don't when I moved my actual games folder to a different location or whatever might have happened, but I now just want to get rid of that folder in the finder window so I can put my actual current Games folder there and not get them confused.

The problem is how do I remove it from the side bar area there if I can't right click on it (I can't). If I left click it immediately gives me the "can't find volume" error, but offers no options or solutions or any way to delete it. You might think if it can't find it, it'd remove it automatically or something, but it doesn't. I tried dragging it to the trash can and that will get rid of it while that Finder window is open, but as soon as I close it and bring up a new Finder window it's right back there in the list (now at the bottom instead). It seems like it's impossible to get rid of the darn thing from any regular type GUI operation.

So how can I get rid of it? Even a shell solution would be OK.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Right-click on it and select "Remove from Sidebar"

3. MagnusVonMagnum thread starter macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

Did you miss the part where I said I CANNOT right click on it? Well, I cannot right click on it to select that. It won't let me (apparently because it's not a valid link).

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I did miss that! Sorry about that. You might try installing OnyX and using it to reset the Finder Sidebar.

Attached Files:

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

How about clicking and dragging it off the sidebar? Or does that still give you the error?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To the OP, have you tried Finder > Preferences > Sidebar and unchecking the link?
    :)

7. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

:p I meant dragging it off the sidebar but not in the trash, so that it goes away in a puff of smoke...

8. MagnusVonMagnum thread starter macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

That did it! Thanks.

9. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras