Bad Logic Board -FAIL

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by badcrc32, Oct 13, 2009.

1. badcrc32 macrumors regular

This is my 3rd Mac, my first two were imacs that screens had issues. I had each for less than a week. Anyhow, I bought my mac book about 16 months ago. It doesnt power on, and its been determined logic board is issue.

Now I am a firm believer in life that you either have to buy the extended warranty on everything always or never...Pick a side....That said, Ive never bought an extended warranty although seeing two bad screens and talking down the apple guy on the price I bought apple care.

Anyhow, looks like they would have replaced for free anyhow so technically I question if the apple care was worth it.

I have two fast questions

If the Nvidia card has issues are they putting in a different part into my notebook, or the same batch of fail cards?

I game a lot my notebook gets hot could have this caused it?

For how long are they going to be replacing cards post 3 years?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So instead of spending a couple of hundred for 2 more years warranty you're on the hook for the entire bill. Not sure how you can question the worth of warranty when you are no needing to pay for the repair :confused:

I always get applecare on my laptops because 1., the repair costs always exceed the price of the warranty. Given the design and usage, its more likely that something will fail on a laptop.

A desktop or other electronics. It makes sense not to buy extended warranty but in laptops - no brainer.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

They'll keep repairing as long as some one would be willing to pay. Apple has reserves for those scenarios but of course the reserve won't last that long or the consumer have the logic that it wouldn't be worth it to repair a 3+ year old computer when you could get something probably more cheaper and offered better performance whether it be Apple or any other Windows computer.

4. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

you dont need apple care

Apple is repairing my defect logic board for my model even if your past a year and DONT HAVE APPLE CARE

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's probably because your issue is related to the defective nvidia chipset.

6. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

7. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, that's pretty fail..Getting this done took about a week 4 days longer than it should have. I had to email steve in the end to get anywhere. That actually helped and expedited it along.

All in all, the software is great....For me Id rather be able to just run OSX supported in a VM....Im not very impressed with apples quality control. 2 returned iMacs for screen issues, this and 2 returned broken ipods is FTL...

FLAME AWAY but my dells motherboard was fixed while I was in NY on vacation with a technican coming to my house. Hands down way better experience.

I will say the software is incredible on the Mac though....

8. chrisrottan macrumors member

Don't say that!
    The whole Apple fanbois will come with their stories how their ibook failed after 5 yrs of use and apple gave them a brand new macbook pro 17" fully loaded!
    Electronics will fail, and hiding away horrible flaws by being forced to buy AppleCare just goes beyond me. Yes, they look pretty and the OS is pretty good. But that's no reason for apple fanbois to jump onto thebandwagon of HP/Dell/Sony/etc hating with their stories of "omg everything fell apart in less than a year!"(warranty anyone?) yet on some other threads i read "I've never owned a PC" from the same users.
    :eek:

9. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

I never get AppleCare on Desktops because I can replace everything myself. Laptops have everything integrated though.

10. chrisrottan macrumors member

Hence the difference between portability and stationary.
    But yes, if you're tech savvy enough with a surgeon's hand and a soldering kit, you should be good to go.

11. monoxera macrumors member

12. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Nah, never need more than a torx screwdriver to do any repairs on Mac's or PC's.

However, the prices on Logic Boards for apple computers are always 3X the price of a Windows mobo.

I can replace a logic board for a dell laptop for $300, but a MacBook costs like $900 for the same part.

13. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

I buy AppleCare for my computers, not phones, iPods, etc. For other electronics, I usually pass as most are not as consumer friendly as AppleCare seems to me to be.

14. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

My GPS capability died on my iPhone 3G (after numerous resets and restores). I only had crappy triangulation so my $100 Navigon app was worthless.

Since I had the $60 AppleCare on the iPhone, the Apple Store gave me a new iPhone.

HOWEVER, I didn't buy the Extended iPhone AppleCare until my phone started acting flakey, so it worked out.