Bad Logic Board, Out of Warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sheetrock321, Mar 24, 2015.

1. sheetrock321 macrumors member

sheetrock321

3 year Applecare, 3 months past expired.

Logic board on late 2011 Macbook pro fried, diagnosis from Apple Genius Bar.

289.00 For repair.

I went ahead with it.

Was that foolish? Should I have tried another option to replace it?

Just for future issues.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

If yours is a 15"/17" model and succumbed due to Radeongate, the repair would've been free.

4. sheetrock321 thread starter macrumors member

sheetrock321

It is a 15", I'll have to look up Radeongate

@GGJstudios if that seems low, than that makes me feel better :)

5. fastasleep macrumors 6502

fastasleep

That's the flat rate repair program, and it's a bargain. And yeah it would've been free if it was related to the GPU failure, but considering it wasn't (unless the diagnosis comes back otherwise), $289 is cheap.

Also, when you submit a flat rate repair, be sure to mention ANYTHING else wrong with the machine! Display problems, finicky trackpad, etc. They'll replace ALL parts that have problems under the same flat rate. I had a mobo failure on my 2011 MBP once, and mentioned some uneven backlighting in the display and got that replaced as well. I've seen them replace mobo, top case assembly, and display on another repair I did. Quite the deal.

6. sheetrock321 thread starter macrumors member

sheetrock321

Looking up Late 2011 Macbook Pros (I can't figure out how to check my hardware specs now that I don't physically have the computer) the graphics card is:

AMD Radeon HD 6750M graphics processor with 512MB of GDDR5 memory on 2.2GHz configuration; or AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics processor with 1GB of GDDR5 memory on 2.4GHz configuration

More info, I thought it was initially a ram problem, as it would crash/freeze and then I'd get 3 beeps with about a 4 second pause between.

New ram at the Applestore didn't change the problem. Still got the 3 beeps.

----------

Huh, gtk, thanks.

Luckily, there weren't any other issues. I did tell them everything. When it was still under warranty, they actually already replaced the logic board and I definitely mentioned that.

7. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

Good price, and a good computer as long as the Radeon doesn't fail. I would use it as long as I could.