Bad Luck with 24" LED Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tarasis, Jul 1, 2009.

1. tarasis macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I appear to be having bad luck with the 24" LED Cinema Displays, I am on my 4th new one and debating getting a 5th or giving up and getting a refund.

This has been ongoing since late May, I ordered an ACD to go with a new 17" MBP and kept it even though I returned the MBP.

Number 1) Bad Back light bleed

After hooking it upto my Mac Mini in the interm, I was watching Star Trek 6 and noticed it was a bit "light" along the top and bottom borders. Later in the evening, I darkened everything off and ran LcdTest and found that there was quite bad bleed from the backlights. Some photos here if your interested.

(Technically there was also a settling creaking sound from it when it was initially warming up each time I first started using it. I haven't noticed this with the other 3 and it didn't really bother me that much)

So sent it back and got

Number 2) Had 3 dead pixels

So promptly arranged an exchange and got

Number 3) Speck of dust between screen & LCD

Its not bad, but to me quite noticeable, particularly as its about 4 inches in from the left and about 4 / 5 inches down from the top. If you move a light window around its easy to spot. If it had been within an inch of the edges of the screen I might have said keep it (and my wife would have preferred me too). So onto Apple again and we now have

Number 4) 3 black marks (poss 2 black pixels and one dust) and one stuck Green Pixel

So kind of excited to get this one today, had high hopes. Quickly unpacked it, hooked up the 13" MBP, ran LCDTest and low & behold in the bottom left there was a faint black speck that wouldn't disappear and then 3 larger (2 black & 1 green) spots towards the top middle right which where particularly noticeable on the red screen of LCDTest and actually also on the default background. As you can imagine, highly disappointed.

So, at the moment I have both number 3 & 4, though 3 is due to be picked up by TNT tomorrow and 4 only arrived today but I've already emailed the support person I have been dealing with about the problem.

I am not sure what to do, as I said my wife wants me to just keep number 3, I am inclined to try one last time as I really like the screen & its handiness regarding cables, webcam and so on (speakers are a bit meh to be honest) but I also at a point of just jacking it in and getting a refund.

I could keep the 3rd one but I struggle with the idea of spending that much money to have a speck of dust under the glass thats always visible on light backgrounds. Its a lot of money to not be "perfect".

To be fair to Apple, the sales / support people I have been dealing with have been wonderful, very helpful, generally courteous if a little slow to respond (there was a week between the last replacements, despite them being emailed with a few hours of receiving the new one). Each time, so far, its been do I want to try another one or just get a refund and they've sent the replacement out before getting the old one back.

Its been quite frustrating to have not had a screen to work with all this time as I have boxed them up immediately after finding the problems. With 4 cats & 2 children around I didn't want to tempt fate and introduce a new problem

PS There was a "minor" hiccup on their part, for the 3rd ACD they booboo'd and initially put the order through as a replacement 17" MBP. The only reason anyone noticed was that I phoned up wondering with the RMA email & the order email mentioned a MBP & not an ACD. They managed to finally put a hold on it a couple of hours before it was due to be delivered to me.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Try and get another one and maybe that one will be the one you keep. No need to keep something that you're not content with.

3. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've had 3 with no problems. Maybe you're just too picky, or it's a run of bad luck

<cue the "When you pay $900 for a monitor, you expect it to be perfect" comments>
    <cue the "LCDs aren't perfect, and if they were, they'd cost 10x more" rebuttles>

Might as well get it out there now.

4. tarasis thread starter macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I suspect its a little of both being a bit picky (the aforementioned "its a lot of money, it better be right") & apparently bad luck. Of 4 displays, 2 having dead pixels is unfortunate.

Well done on getting the other messages out the road too :)

5. tarasis thread starter macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Thanks. An aside question for you, how do you find working between the MB & the iMac? That is the other thing we are considering, giving up on the ACD and getting an iMac to have a fixed desktop thats always there (and would also be used for Windows gaming) but we aren't sure if we'd / I'd get on with syncing data between the 2 machines.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I thought the glass can be removed from the front of the panel with suction cups to remove dust or clean behind the glass etc. While I wouldn't try this at home, I'm surprised they can't rectify that for you at the nearest Apple store.

Also, unless you watch test patterns for a living, try to just use the next one you get. :p :)

7. Badradio macrumors 6502

OP - These are valid opinions, if you listen to people on forums. The important thing is to get a monitor YOU are happy with. You're the one stumping up the cash - it's a deal between you and Apple - so anyone else's opinion is redundant. You have to decide what you can live with.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

A few dead pixels are normal; I think it's best to assess what is important to you; is spending many hours doing exchanges worth it? Could you have made money or done something useful in these wee hours?

Just a thought; I've not had a problem on mine [when I owned it], so I'm sorry to hear you have a lot of problems with yours.

9. egraphixstudios macrumors 6502

egraphixstudios

Don't apple use class1 displays? therefore you should have zero dead pixels, no backlight leakage etc?

10. tarasis thread starter macrumors 6502a

tarasis

I sent the newest model back today and kept the 3rd one to try and live with it but in the process of just using the panel this evening and not using lcdtest I've ended up noticing a number of other dull marks (5 in total) under the glass. Annoyingly I wasn't even looking for the blasted things, just browsing at the time.

Sadly I don't have a nearby Apple Store, there is only one in Germany and its in Munich which is a bit of a trek away from Hamburg.

Agreed, just wish my wife quite understood that.

I have been doing things in those times, thankfully it doesn't take long to take a screen out, test it and put it back in a box & email Apple again but your right there are better things to be done with my time.

Conversely though, the monitor is something that I am going to be spending a chunk of time in front of and I don't want to keep seeing the imperfections.

Curious, if its okay to ask, why did you get rid of yours?

My experience wouldn't lead me to believe that and there are other posts in this forum of people that have had either dust or backlight problems with the ACD. Again you have to filter a bit based on the fact that people only tend to post about problems.

11. tarasis thread starter macrumors 6502a

tarasis

So, get an email today from the person I've been dealing with at Apple Support:

Not the most heartening of emails to be sure. As I mentioned in the replies above I kept the 3rd monitor which I had thought only had one piece of dust under the panel and started actively trying to use it this evening to see if I could simply live with it as is (something my wife would like me to do) but I've since discovered a number of other marks under the glass without even looking for the damn things.

Really wishing I had the first monitor back, backlight problem be damned.

Now to decide do I return, refund and try again (now or later) or give up and consider the Dell S2409W which is currently going for €211.40

12. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I think that's Apple's way of telling you you're expectations are too high for them to achieve (or you're costing them too much in shipping/refurb/replacements costs for a single customer to make it worth it), and perhaps going another route would be better for you.

13. Luba macrumors 6502a

Luba

I'd say return it for a refund and move on to the Dell. I was all set in getting the 24 because it would match everything. :) and it has iSight but doing some looking around I find there are other monitors out there with similar or better quality at lower prices so this might work out for you. Do you care it all that it all matches up nicely as much as me? I was at one point, price be damned, I want that 24 because it would have the apple logo and it does look nice, and it would coordinate with everything.

Sort of like the Time Capsule, looks great all together (Base station and hard drive), but for what it does way over priced.

BTW, the Apple store in Munich the people there all speak English too or just some? I was in Munich a while back and had great time, although I liked Stuttgard better. Hamburg must be a couple hours or more from Munich since Stuttgard is like an hour.

14. tarasis thread starter macrumors 6502a

tarasis

Possibly, thought if I did go back through them by refunding and buying anew
    I don't see how it would work out for them :) Maybe its also a polite way of saying "if you wait a while you might be happier with one that been built later"

Hi I was in a similar thing. I wanted the ACD partly for its aesthetics, partly because its a damn good screen and partly as its Apple it should all just work. (and all the HW before this has) That it has an Apple logo on it doesn't bother me _that_ much.

I've never been to the Munich Apple store, its about 610km away or about 6 hours away on the train :) The Apple German phone support people appear to be based in Ireland so tend to speak English reasonably well, though this last person's has been the worst. Still better than my German is at the moment.