Bad luck with Apple refurbs 3rd exchange

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KevinMHC, Mar 2, 2013.

1. KevinMHC, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

KevinMHC macrumors member

so this is my 3rd Macbook pro retina refurb and I keep finding things wrong

the first one had a bent rubber around the monitor frame
    second had heat problems
    now this 3rd one have a loud R key and backlight bleeding.

Now I don't know if i should return this 3rd one because Apple is refusing to exchange anymore because they are out of refurb models to exchange with me
    and if i were to purchase a brand new model it will be about $250 more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do you think it is worth saving the $200+ ?

2. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

what about warranty work? Wouldnt these issues be covered?

Personally I would spend more.. and get a new one BUT it took apple 4 tries to provide me with a problem free MBPr

3. KevinMHC thread starter macrumors member

I did thought about getting warranty done... but since I am still within my refund period, I rather rid myself of a problem laptop. In the end, no matter how much work is done, it is still a problem laptop and who knows if they'll fix it properly or cause even more problems.

4. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

then it sounds like you need to purchase a new one if they dont have anymore refurbs on hand.

off topic question, the screen is samsung correct? I am JW

5. KevinMHC thread starter macrumors member

I am not sure. I have a 13" model and the terminal codes do not seem to work

6. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

haha gotchya, for some reason i thought you had a 15inch.

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Cannot do terminal command on 13"

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Are you sure you aren't looking for problems? Regarding light bleed or IR, my test is whether I notice anything. I don't run all kinds of tests to try to find something I wouldn't otherwise notice.

That said, since Apple won't exchange it, at this point it's best to take advantage of the warranty. Refurbs are usually less likely to have defects since they are individually inspected before being resold. So with a new unit, you'll be just as likely to find an issue, if not more so.

9. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

I think that you must ask for an exchange or atleast a repair as you pay for the perfect experience! You must get what you pay for! :apple:

----------

If you want to compromise you might very well have gotten a windows laptop! Macs are meant to be perfect, no matter what. :apple:

10. KevinMHC thread starter macrumors member

I do admit I do have a little OCD when it comes to expensive purchases. It's one of those things where once I notice it, I can't stop not looking at. Knowing I bought a inferior product does bother me a little.

Having said that, I am willing to live with it because honestly i don't really notice it under normal use. The question is whether the savings from the refurb model is worth these little knicks and knacks.

----------

Do you think the Geniuses will even entertain my requests? about a slightly louder R key and slight blacklight bleeding ? (i'm not sure what i have is considered acceptable or not)

11. Rodster macrumors 68040

If you are within the refund period, I would return it and start over. I'm not one to go looking for problems unless they are a blatantly obvious issue. That light bleed is really noticeable and I would return it because they refuse anymore exchanges.

If your rMBP were budget priced then i'm with everyone else and say you might want to accept the problems but an rMBP is not budget priced. ;)

12. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

I think you must get the rmbp repaired or just ask for a refund as the bleed is. really noticeable.

13. KevinMHC thread starter macrumors member

are the retina screens suppose to be pitch black?

is there an acceptable level of bleeding that is tolerable?

14. calvol macrumors 6502a

There were some secret HW revisions in the 2013 version, I would skip the 2012 refurb models for that reason alone.

15. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I would generally agree with you, but it seems the 2013 revision actually brought an issue of its own (Sandisk SSDs causing random fan issues from what I've read). I'm actually pretty happy I have both Samsung panel and SSD, they both have been rock solid so far *knock on wood*.

This is not a helpful answer but I think the only way you can answer this is by asking yourself that very question (is it tolerable), and bringing it in to the Apple Store if you think it isn't.

My 15" has edge bleeding, but it is very thin and consistent on all sides. It's definitely not perfect pitch black. Good luck in any event.

16. Applefanboy8153 macrumors regular

The 2012 version is actually better in many respects:
    1. Bleed is more on 2013, though not as noticeable after screen replacement (Mine is 2013 and my sister's is 2012)
    2. The Fan is going crazy sometimes even when I do something like just watching movies
    3. Bootup is .8 secs faster on 2012.

----------

I cant even read what is written on the screen, the bleed is too much, get a replacement panel. BTW with that you get new back cover, so double advantage! Also I see something like a scratch in the 1st image.

----------

Agreed with your answer!

17. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Seriously…

That's considered bad backlight bleed?

And loud R key is well… silly. All my keys are loud if I smash them hard enough.

18. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Tbh, the fact that you've listed "Heat issues" as a problem, looks like you're looking for problems.