Bad luck with new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zigmondski, Jul 7, 2009.

1. zigmondski macrumors newbie

I upgraded to an 8gb 3G just under a month ago. Love the phone, but keep getting problems.

Pretty much straight away I noticed that calls were being dropped, I find the phone turned off despite being fully charged and it was crashing whenever I was doing pretty much anything. I restored the device but got the same issues.

I took it back to the O2 shop where they swapped it without any fuss, but the replacement had a gap between the bezel and the glass with a small metal spike type thing poking through. Needless to say I was back in the shop in seconds to get another replacement.

The replacement acted in pretty much the same way as the first, only it would freeze at random, and I would have to hard reset it probably about 3 or 4 times a day. Back in the O2 shop they swap it again without any problems.

My current replacement is fine in most respects, but the volume control is a bit mushy, and its difficult to feel any feedback when decreasing the volume. I know what the volume control is supposed to feel like from the previous ones, and it just feels weak. Also I've got a light leak down the left side of the screen between the glass and the metal.

I really don't know what to do. These things are expensive and I want it to be perfect, but I don't think I can face going back to the shop, it's getting embarrassing. Is it worth contacting Apple?

Thanks in advance.

2. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

If you want it to be "perfect", deal with going back to Apple again and again until you find your perfect iphone.

3G iphones all have pretty bad builds to them, so good luck on that. Have you compared your current 3G iphone to another 3G iphone to check out the volume differences? Maybe it's your iphone, maybe it's just you.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

FYI My 3G along with 3 others in my family have perfect builds. "All" does not apply there. :rolleyes:

OP, if you're experiencing service issues then you want to speak to O2. If it's a build issue you may want to try using your AppleCare warranty on it. Apple will cover warranty work but for a replacement I think you need to stick with O2.

4. zigmondski thread starter macrumors newbie

I can tell that it feels different, because I can remember what it was like on the previous devices, plus I've had a fiddle with devices in the O2 store since to compare.

I seriously can't face going back to O2. While I have had them swapped successfully before, I'm not entirely convinced by the staff's helpfulness.

I would prefer to hear it from the horse's mouth as such. If someone at apple says that its normal or that they do not see it as a problem, then I will accept that more than from someone who can't be bothered to help.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Whatever do you mean?

Sorry, I too question someone's helpfulness when they make it perfectly easy for me to swap a phone due to some degree of space between the bezel and the glass on my phone.

I question why you would feel so embarrassed returning to O2, unless you did something the first time around.
    Then go to Apple. /shrug

6. pachyderm macrumors 601

pachyderm

wow.

7. zigmondski thread starter macrumors newbie

Read it again maybe? I'm not sure what's not clear.

Whatever do you mean?

Whatever do you mean?

I think I will.