Bad luck with new MacBook purchase

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Slinkington, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Slinkington macrumors member

Slinkington

I recently started at University and thought it would be in my best interest to buy a Mac, so I did. I bought the high end MacBook, thinking that it would be good enough for what I'd be doing, and as I kitted it out with all the upgrade options I was sure it would be fine. This took the total price up to £1009. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realise about Student discounts at the time so I missed on about a £150-ish saving. To make matters worse, we used a program called "Sketchup" today and everyone's MacBook Pro's were doing fine but my MacBook couldn't handle it and just sat there loading every time I tried to draw new lines or zoom in etc...

But it doesn't end there, either. Less than 3 days after getting my new MacBook, Apple release a new model which (without upgrades) I am told would run the programs I need to run perfectly AND would have been only £950 to pay! Thats not including Student Discount!

As you can imagine, I feel somewhat... cheated, although these things happen I guess. I've had the Macbook for three days and installed Windows XP on there and such, is there anything I could do about this? Seems unlikely but I just wish I had known about the newer, better, cheaper MacBooks, and the fact mine wont run what I need it to. Any idea if I could get a replacement or at least the discount I missed out on?

Thanks for any information :)

2. sonia1234321 macrumors regular

Well, since it seems that you are taking college courses that probably require graphic intensive work. I'd go ahead and return the MacBook and buy one of those cheap refurb MacBook Pros now =D

3. yoppie macrumors 6502a

If you've only had it for three days you can take it back to the Apple Store but there is a restocking fee (at least there is one for the U.S.). I believe the time period for allowing returns on new notebooks is 14 days.

4. jade macrumors 6502

Talk to your retailer. Many have a price guarantee type policy.

5. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Return it and make sure you have enough RAM. All the upgrade options on a last generation MB isn't going to help if you need graphics for an application.

6. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

If Apple UK is like Apple USA, you can just bring it back and get a new one for the restocking fee within 10 days.

7. redmeister macrumors 6502

8. Slinkington thread starter macrumors member

Slinkington

Hey,

thanks for the info guys, I'll give apple a call tomorrow. There is one other thing I think I should mention though, I have installed Windows XP on it. do you think that they may not take it back in now?

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Before you send it back you want to load the OS disk it came with and do a fresh install. You NEVER want to return a computer with any of your information on it. Always do a fresh install.

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

that wont matter