Bad MacBook or bad user?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Norskman, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Norskman macrumors member

Norskman

My mother is back in Norway and I got her convinced to buy a MacBook. She went with the 13" model and has been thrilled with it until yesterday.

She called and complained that the keys were unresponsive and sluggish, the track pad was not working at all and it would not charge.

She would connect the power, the green light would turn on and then turn off posting a "power interruption" message on the battery indicator in the toolbar.

She could not reboot it or turn it off through the OS. I had her physically hold the power button until it turned off and then turn it back on. Once it was back up in Mac OS she said she still had the power interruption message and the trackpad would only work if she depressed it until it clicked, then the mouse moved.

Anybody seen this before? Since I can't see this in person (I'm in the US) and I haven't been able to get another update from her (9 hour time difference), is there any suggestion as to what is going on here?

2. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Is there an Apple store near her that could take a look at it with her? Maybe they could walk her through some things and double check the system out?

Good Luck!
    P

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It could be a handful of things, but it sounds like it would be hard to diagnose across the ocean. She's best off taking it to an Apple store, if possible, as above.

Otherwise, look at the Apple KB's for resetting the firmware / PMU / whatever it's called on the Macbook and see if that helps.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Taking it to a physical Apple store would be the best bet. Good Luck!

5. appleisgod macrumors regular

Take it to the apple store!
    (Had to get in on the redundant replies, maybe if 6 more people say it the message will get across)

6. CP123 macrumors regular

Take it to the Apple Store! ;)

It could be a defective laptop.

7. Norskman thread starter macrumors member

Norskman

Yeah there are no official Apple stores where she lives but she was going to take it to the reseller where she got it. She reported back this morning that now the laptop was behaving after I had her physically shut it all the way down.

Considering she probably hasn't rebooted it since I went to visit her this summer, that's not too bad! :eek:

Thanks for the great replies...

8. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

i don't understand the "or bad user" part of the title. what indications do you have that the user is doing something wrong?

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

There aren't any Apple stores in NZ either, but Apple resellers are almost as good :D