bad magsafe- a litte late?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smartalic34, Jan 9, 2008.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I have a first gen MBP, and never had a problem with my magsafe connector (fraying, melting, etc.). however, I noticed the other day that I do indeed have a problem... see attached photo (this isn't my photo, but mine is similar). I never put tension on the cord, making sure to keep it straight.

I dont have applecare, but I am going in to the apple store tomorrow to get a free replacement battery (mine is defective). what are my chances that they'll give me a new magsafe, or will I have to drop $80?

Attached Files:

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hmmm. I say appeal to their sense of generosity. Of course, this sort of thing is what Applecare covers for, but frankly speaking I've never come across so many PSU-related problems as I have on Magsafe-equipped, first-gen MBP PSU's.

Even on heavily trafficed & plugged/unplugged non-Apples I've not seen this problem (in a relatively short time), and while it won't help you the problem lies in the choice of covering material of the cable, as well as the very poor design of the strain relief at the magsafe end. It is a design issue.

I would have a sob story ready about having it plugged in most of the time and not seeing it, or variations on that theme.

3. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

so I had to bump back the appointment, and I'm going in tomorrow to the apple store. question: will they have the new magsafes in stock? I know a slightly different redesign with reinforced ends and a smaller power block came out... will they have it at the store, or will old ones be there?

4. Tsurisuto macrumors 6502

This happened to me in the UK. I went to the Regent Street store where they not only replaced my Magsafe (even though I was out of warranty), but they replaced it with the new smaller size which they have in stock... all this, and I didn't have to pay a penny!

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I think by now they'll probably have ran out of the old-style bricks? And if the above is anything to go by you're definitely in with a chance (although the British may be more fatalistic - i.e. Apple PSU's are crap and we know it - and therefore accommodating :p ) Good, eh?

My 2.33 pre-SR MBP PSU failed earlier a while back but not too long ago - I think it was after the new keyboards came out - and they replaced the brick with the same brick type. However when one of my SR PSUs died a short time after that I went to the store as well and they replaced it with the same one (i.e. the new one). So I guess it depends on what they have lying around / can get.

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

They should still swap it straight out for a new one. Fraying bend relief is a widely acknowledged problem!