Bad Marketing 101

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Link

AMSTERDAM (Reuters) - A pharmaceutical company which sent anonymous Valentine's cards to Dutch gynecologists in a publicity stunt has been forced to apologize for sparking family arguments.

The doctors and their partners were furious with the company -- whose Web site says it mixes "the ingredients for health and happiness" -- after the firm sent cards saying "Now shall we tell everyone?," De Telegraaf newspaper reported Thursday.

A second card was dispatched to the 800 doctors the next day explaining that the first had been a gimmick to promote a new product.

In some cases, the cards caused so much distress that the company, Organon, sent apologetic bouquets of flowers, the newspaper said.
I bet is hard being married to a gynecologist, but this company didn't help any! :eek:

Don't want to be a field rep walking into some of these offices!

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
wow, some companies' marketing departments are really stupid, but thats really no big surprise is it?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I still don't think this is as funny as when Electrolux decided to convert their favorite marketing slogan from Swedish to English without first consulting with anyone who spoke idiomatic colloquial English to see if it would be OK. The result:

"Nothing sucks like an Electrolux."

BubbaJones

macrumors regular
May 13, 2004
East Coast
Speaking of marketing genius... Has anyone heard the Cumberland Farms adds? "Come in to Cumby's". :eek: Link I tell ya, I'm not thinking of a convenience store when I hear that stupid add.

Makosuke

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
BubbaJones said:
"Come in to Cumby's". :eek: Link I tell ya, I'm not thinking of a convenience store when I hear that stupid add.
As it's not slang I'm familiar with and Google didn't help, care to enlighten us on what it sounds like to you? Apparently "Cumby's" is a pretty common expression in the area that has the stores.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
lol...

Thats a GREAT Valentines day gift! How many people had to sleep on the couch THAT night??

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Makosuke said:
As it's not slang I'm familiar with and Google didn't help, care to enlighten us on what it sounds like to you? Apparently "Cumby's" is a pretty common expression in the area that has the stores.
I would assume it's the sophomoric reference to male ejaculate?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
After receiving the second card the next day that told them that this company was promoting a product -I wonder how many of the gynecologists rushed out to buy said product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.