Bad mba experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by analogyshark, Jan 21, 2012.

1. analogyshark macrumors newbie

Earlier this week I dropped my backpack containing my 11 inch macbook air. My backpack has a padded laptop compartment and the mba was in an incase neoprene padded sleeve. I suppose the machine fell 'just right', though, and there is now a very small dent in the top corner of the screen shell (about 1mm deep and 3 mm across). Obviously I was upset, but luckily everything was working fine.

I started checking around online about getting it fixed. Aside from finding out that repair would be prohibitively expensive, I also came across a few threads warning that applecare would no longer be honored if the machine had any signs of physical damage.

I called applecare and was informed that any damage not caused by the fall (e.g., my battery failed in a couple of months) would be completely covered and that the mac technicians were very good about figuring out whether the problem was due to the fall for some other cause. For example, she told me, the . Just for peace of mind, though, the applecare rep advised me to take the machine into an applestore, have diagnostics run, and thus document that everything was in working order after the dent so that any future problems would not be falsely blamed on what caused the dent.

I took the mba into the apple store and was floored buy the poor customer service I got from the geniuses working at the apple store. I was informed that from here on out anything that happened to the machine would be blamed on my misuse of the machine and that I would have to pay to have the entire top of the machine (including screen as it is integrated with the case) replaced or my apple care would cover nothing. When I told the geniuses (including the store manager) what I had been told by applecare, they informed me that they were sorry that the applecare rep had misinformed me, but any cosmetic damage trumps applecare coverage as it is a sure sign of misuse.

I'm kind of taken aback. We're talking about a laptop. A portable machine. I'm unhappy that I dropped my backpack, and that was my fault, but completely voiding apple care because of cosmetic damage to the machine seems unreasonable. Would applecare be voided because of a large scratch (something that easily could result from the same kind of drop my machine had)? Things like this happen with laptops. I've owned several laptops and this is the second I've dropped. I had an old powerbook that fell 4 feet onto a concrete floor and was just fine. Why should I have ever bothered with applecare then? If applecare only covers problems caused by apple manufacturing, it seems it should be given gratis (after all, spending thousands of dollars on a machine should assure you a working product).

Any advice? Does everyone else just not have accidents, or am I just unlucky?

Thanks for reading.

2. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Made sense until that line. Of course it only covers Apple's manufacturing. Why would you only pay 250 for applecare if you could just step on your laptop and get a new one for free every time you felt like it?

With that said I think the geniuses were being very unreasonable and you should try another store/person. It's honestly hit or miss with apple geniuses. Some are nice and take care of you even when they don't have to, others....are like the ones you had. Don't think that it's voided just because 1-2 people told you this. I'd try another store or try again and hope to get new people.

3. malman89 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I think the genius you got just knew you were being possibly a bit of a burden with unnecessary worrying combined with just being a bit grouchy. I've seen some truly horrendous looking machines from friends/classmates/people in the store that still got the correct treatment.

Also I assume a genius bar history has begun on your machine with your recent visit (or maybe not, I don't know how Apple does it. I've replaced my MacBooks top case twice now and the 2nd time they made no reference to the previous repair). If not, it should still be clear that pretty much any future issue wouldn't be related to that tiny old dent.

4. davenz macrumors regular

Insurance?

My general household contents insurance covers any accidental damage for things like you explained.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I'd probably call Applecare again, and as stated try another Apple store location. The genius bar is mostly retail employees with possibly a bit of extra training. Some of them are good. Many make the use of the word "genius" look ironic. Obviously it doesn't cover accidental damage. It states that in the terms. It shouldn't just void everything though :mad:. If you are absolutely certain the validity of your applecare is gone, there is a cancellation method. I found this in their terms a while ago, and it stated that you could get a refund of a prorated amount minus $20 or something like that. Look at the terms and conditions for this if you need it.

6. KPOM macrumors G5

Remember the "geniuses" are relatively low-paid techs, and many are just a step or two above the Best Buy Geek Squad. AppleCare will cover manufacturing defects in years 2 and 3. They can't deny a faulty logic board or SSD repair because there is a small dent on the case, as clearly the dent wouldn't be the cause of any issues of that sort. If the dent is on the top, I could see them questioning a future issue with the display, though.

I'd take it to another Apple Store and have them run the diagnostics. I'd also run the Tech Tool diagnostics that come with Apple Care and save them as a PDF.

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Even if the Apple Genius's in Store refuse to fix it, if you call up AppleCare on the phone, as they've stated, they will fix anything that isn't down to you having dropped it. i.e. If the screen itself breaks they'll likely say its your fault, but if the battery/logic board goes, then they'll take care of it. Worst comes to it you may just have to get Warranty Repairs performed via AppleCare over the phone instead of going via the so-called "Geniuses" (in my experience they are about as informed as the techs anywhere else - that is, not very).

8. analogyshark thread starter macrumors newbie

9. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

FWIW--Took the MBA I bought yesterday to the apple store this morning. Previous owner was an apple employee and sold it with no OS. He told me i'd have to pay 30 for lion and install it. It didn't work last night...so I took it to my local apple store (los gatos) and they installed Lion AND iLife 11 for FREE, even though the computer is out of warranty (they never even checked).