Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

methodmano

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I have a dual 2.0GHz G5 with 2.5 GB PC3200 RAM (4x512MB & 2x256MB). Once in a while the machine will just turn off. If I try to reboot, then it gets to the grey screen with the wheel and then just shuts off. It will only boot all the way if I reseat the RAM. I ran memtest in single-user mode on each pair separately and they all passed. It's not a huge deal as it doesn't happen that often (maybe once every other week), but it is kind of annoying. I'm not sure I can test the RAM by using different combinations since it doesn't happen all the time. Besides this the machine runs fine. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Try removing all the ram except for 2 sticks and run it like that for a few weeks, then add 2 more etc.etc.

FJ

methodmano

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Thanks for the response. I was hoping to avoid running my machine on a smaller amount of RAM for a couple of weeks.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Things will slow down a tad, but if it helps identify the problem it will be worth it.

Personally i always use Crucial ram, and (touch wood) never had a problem.

Good luck :cool:

FJ

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
This is just a guess, but ---

A complete and sudden power down or black screen is NOT characteristic of failing RAM. If RAM is failing you would expect to get freezes or kernal panics, or three beeps on boot up.

Sudden shut down is more likely power supply or logic board, perhaps heat-related. The fact it works after reseating RAM is either coincidence, or the act of reseating the RAM is doing something else -- like flexing the motherboard -- which is changing something unrelated to the RAM.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
I do hope it isn't the logic board. I had to replace a logic board in a iBook and it was seriously expensive :(

FJ

methodmano

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
Definitely not excited about the logic board having an issue. I thought that might be a problem, but I was hoping someone could point me to some other issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.