Bad Memory??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stanton119, Oct 8, 2007.

1. stanton119 macrumors newbie

In my titanium G4 Powerbook, the memory doesnt add up to what is installed. Inside the actual computer there are two cards: a 512MB and a 256MB. However system profiler says there the 256 is infact a 128... SO instead of 768, I only have 640MB. I have taken the memory out and re-inserted it, but when the computer starts up you get constant kernal panics. After a while it stops freezing, but when you goto system profiler it once again only shows 640MB.

Attached Files:

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Do you get the kernel panics when the suspect memory is removed? It sounds like a bad chip so far. Have you ran the hardware test discs that came with your computer yet? They will not always find a problem but if they do you can be certain.

3. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would it matter if the computer has been updated OS wise. Also I tried installing tiger on it from my imac g5, but the kernal panics get worse, half the time it would freeze on start up. This was with the 256 chip in. I am now trying to get tiger to work without that chip in.

4. Not-a-cliche macrumors regular

Yes.

5. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am now using tiger, it hasnt crashed yet...
    In system profiler under diagnostics, it said it failed on startup, type is memory but it says it was the 512 chip, even though the 256 is still showing as a 128...

6. stanton119 thread starter macrumors newbie

I ran the hardware test and it came up with the following error:
    post/16/2048

relating to the memory.