Bad Microsoft, bad!

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

They make good mice and keyboards. Windows XP is a good gaming OS and Win7 looks to be good too. I was getting back into them. The 360 is a nice machine, plenty of good games (lets overlook them charging to play online or the £55 USB wifi adapter).

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222132

The Xbox 360 Arcade unit went up £30 to £160.

In all my twenty-odd years of gaming I have never seen a console's RRP rise. What! So no price drop to battle against the DS or PS3, quite the opposite!

And the BS reasoning

2. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

Wait wait wait...What?! It's actually true that they raised the prices over theree? What are they thinking?! :confused:

Okay, so they raise prices just as the PS3 slim is about to be released over there. Smart move MS. Your move MS. Oh wait, you just made a move. :rolleyes:

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I will have to send a tube of KY Jelly to all of my friends in the UK wanting a 360 just to make that "MS thrust" a little more easier...poor bastards.

Even though they raised the price I think its still cheaper than the new PS3, its the elite version thats on par with the PS3...correct me if I'm wrong.

Bless

4. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

They have lowered the top end Xbox price though.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep but both are actually cheaper ;)

Elite for £199 or €249. That's great value, and still £50/€50 cheaper than PS3 retail £249/€299

Not sure why they didn't drop it to $249 in the states though and have that $50 difference there too.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ update on myself....

So play.com are doing good deals

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4...il-5-+-Extra-Wireless-Controller/Product.html

Xbox 360 Elite +
    Fight Night Round 4
    Resident Evil 5
    Extra Controller

= £199 / €259

Where as same site

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStati...-PS3-Slim-Console-with-120GB-HDD/Product.html

Slim PS3 - no extra's

= £249 / €324.99

So whilst the PS3 slim + subsequent price cut is very welcome, and I look forward to picking up mine on Tuesday. If I didn't have a console, was looking to buy one and I wasn't interested in blu-ray movies, then the 360 Elite is very tempting with offers like that.

It's all good for the consumer at the end of the day. :)

Anyone without a 360, buying an Arcade machine at new price seems insane....

7. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Another thing...

The 360 Elite no longer includes HDMI or component cables. The component cable is $40. And guess what else, no more optical audio! That's $50 for an adaptor.

So, they lowered the price, but if you want to play it in HD you are pretty much still paying the same price...

Why did they do this? To add "flexibility to consumers who can then decide which type of cable they want for their specific gaming and TV screen set-up."... Ya, suuuurrrreeee....

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/27/microsoft-dropping-hdmi-cable-gives-xbox-360-consumers-flexibi/

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

At that price the 360 seems like a hell of a deal but up against what the PS3 is offering its still not enough. If I was a first time buyer I would be swayed to the PS3 just because of those extras that enhance the experience....thats just me though.

Damn MS for removing the HD cables.

Bless

9. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

And people still keep buying them. Can't blame them though. They must be trying to emulate Apple's high profit margins.

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Because they're good games consoles and are (relatively) cheap...

11. brasscat macrumors 6502

brasscat

I'm not a huge fan of MS, but the exchange rate line is probably true. The dollar is getting smashed right now, and imported brands like Mercedes are seeing price hikes to compensate for the same reason. Remember that MS has a calculated loss built into every console sold, so if the exchange rate whacks out, they have to adjust prices accordingly. And I'm sure they're super-sensitive to XBOX margins since they allocated 1B to extend warrantees due to ring-of-dead issues.

Sony just released their PS3 slim, which is no doubt a much cheaper console to manufacture than their original model --- which is probably why they can absorb the exchange rates issue without affecting retail prices. At least for now.

12. BayouBengal macrumors regular

It's more of the dollar getting devalued vs the Euro and Pound than MS being *******s.

13. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

Because 50%+ failure rate is good. :rolleyes:

People should learn to stop being cheap and invest a little bit extra for a quality reliable machine.

14. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

15. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

That's because the low end 360 was a loss leader, so it's not surprising that the price was only temporary.

PS: I have a 360, but if the PS3 Slim had been released at the time I got my console, I'd have certainly got it instead.

16. MacMonster1985 macrumors member

Sony isn't perfect. The they are a hell of a lot better and their reliability rate is within normal standards. In no other segment would you tolerate a 50% failure rate while being forced to pay a subscription fee to play online. Would you tolerate a 50% failure rate on Apple products?

17. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If you have ever been a REV A Mac buyer, you would know that failure rate can be surprisingly high too ;)

Anyway it's not the failure rate, it the support afterwards that is important, and with a general turnaround of 10-14 days - 3 years warranty, then M$ is not doing too bad a job.

I love how your quoting the 50% failure rate that was published a short while ago, whilst forgetting that the majority in same survey said they were happy with the support, and more importantly something like only 3% said they wouldn't buy another.

Just because you do not want one, doesn't make others wrong.

Another thing, WHY IS IT NEARLY ALWAYS NEWBIES WHO ALWAYS COME ON HERE FANBOY'ZING LIKE CRAZY !!!! ????
    [​IMG]

We don't take kindly to those types around here...

18. fiercetiger224 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't tolerate it. :p

But anyway, I'm glad I got my Jasper 360. Hasn't failed on me...Yet. I've had a couple crashes so far playing Mass Effect, but no biggie. I'm expecting it to last just as long as any of my other consoles. Hopefully. ;)

19. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

depending on how much you play the subscription fee comes to nothing.

Cost $70AUD for 12 months. Say you play one online match thats $70 for a match but if you play 1000 its only 7c a match, which seems pretty reasonable. But 7c is still more then 0c. (just counted my own point:eek:).