Bad new laptops

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skydiver32, May 22, 2009.

1. Skydiver32 macrumors member

I've doing a lot of reading in this forum and found fair amount of people complaining of bad, defective and less than optimal new MB's - to the point of returning it and then having to some issues finding a "perfect" one.

Is this the norm, or it just seems like it since this is the place where people come to complain/ask for advice?

I'm not looking for absolute perfection, ie, I don't care if the cover has a minute indentation that can only be seen with a flashlight under the right angle on the 2 day of a full moon, or microscopic scratches on the bottom. But I would like to avoid, obvious defects like broken pixels, or misaligned screens, etc.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, the vast majority of users are happy

Boards like this Forum are where people vent, so you will get a higher proportion of those who have had bad experiences

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The new unibody macbooks are still at RevA, so there may still be manufacturing anomalies.

Think of all the macs that Apple sell, how many are returned? Its never a problem to exchange a laptop when it has a manufacturing problem. If you are really worried buy one in store and open and inspect it there. If your not satisfied exchange it straight away.

4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

The reason you here more about defective computers is people vent on forums. The people that have good ones dont post about it.

5. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

I thought that was just my laptop!

6. Skydiver32 thread starter macrumors member

That's my plan, but Im worried that with a possible new Iphone release, Apple stores will be mobbed

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

All things considered, I think the new MacBooks appear to be BETTER built than the old ones. The first MacBooks had far greater problems.

8. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I dont think the iphone will be available right away. It will more than likely be a week or two. If computers are updated they could be available right away.

9. Skydiver32 thread starter macrumors member

That doesn't necessarily inspire confidence :p

10. Eyedn macrumors regular

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

When I need cheering up I just go to the Dell and HP forums. :D

12. Toofan macrumors member

Well...there's no such thing as a perfect new Macbook. Trust me, I've tried finding one. There's just way too much margin of error when it comes to the manufacturing process. The key is to find one that YOU'RE okay with, and stick with it. I'm just glad that people aren't too obsessed with benchmarks. If people only were to realize that what goes on under the hood isn't the same from Macbook to Macbook, they'd be pulling their hair out. It seems like cosmetic anomalies are more of a concern (and rightfully so in many cases) than hardware performance anomalies.

13. RiCEADDiCTBOY macrumors 6502a

RiCEADDiCTBOY

Any people buy Macs why? ...the tech version of Russian roulette! :apple:

14. Toofan macrumors member

lol, I find the benefits of the Mac for a software developer outweigh the cost. For most other people, with all due respect to them, unless they really enjoy using a Mac, they should just get an equal specs PC at half the cost.

Haha Russian Roulette indeed, a small part of me died every time I opened a Macbook with a dead pixel or some sort of anomaly in it. So pricey :(