Bad news for Broadwell Mini this year?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by dudedude, Feb 20, 2014.

1. dudedude macrumors member

2. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

3. blanka macrumors 68000

But you know Apple. If they say Intel go make Broadwell cause we need it NOW, Intel does so.
    Otherwise they move back to PPC and have sex with IBM again, or they cuddle a bit with Samsung and move the whole OSX to 16 core ARM chips. At least, that is what they will say to scare Intel.

4. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Lol....I say you'll be lucky to see a haswell mini this year. Broadwell was way out of the question anyway

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Only the MBA and MBP need the Broadwell platform (energy efficiency). The GPUs, Thunderbolt 2 and 4K displays are not ready for the mass market. I hope that we see better 4K displays in the future.

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's not like that is actually practical. That would be a very bad transition to weaker hardware.

7. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

8. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Many benchmarks do not check the OpenCL, AVX2 and VT-x performance. :mad:

Btw, thanks for the link! :D

9. blanka macrumors 68000

I was mentioning it as hypothetical, but another sure fact:
    Apple users don't give a damn about speed, and if Apple has a nice story why the new is slower, they will swallow it down the throat like good semen, uhh, chocolate. If the Mini gets the size of an iPhone, at half speed it will sell like warm bread.

10. dudedude thread starter macrumors member

I'm actually intrigued by the Gigabyte Brix Bro with the Iris Pro graphics but from most of the reviews they sound loud as the fans kick up quite a bit, something I'm trying to avoid in my next machine. Rocking a big windows 7 desktop currently.

11. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Maybe when they get Broadwell they may go fanless ????
    Big enough heat sink maybe all they need.

12. dudedude thread starter macrumors member

I wonder if apple will go that way eventually as well. It seems like the rumors of a smaller mini would be around the size of a larger apple tv. It's also kind of interesting with the power of some phones and tablets are now getting I can't imagine these smaller desktops and tablets won't collide at some point. Perhaps not yet but it almost seems inevitable.

It's kind of funny I only really want the iris pro to play some of my steam library (more of a console gamer) but after reading the brix pro reviews it seems kind of silly to wait around because at the end of the day all I'm really after is a small quiet desktop. I don't think I'd be disappointed with a current i5 or i7 mini especially if I throw in a SSD.

I think I'll only wait it out for at most another few weeks or at least some concrete news a newer mini is coming before grabbing one.

13. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I've got a I5 with SSD and 8gd ram i'm perfectly happy with. Go for it.

14. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

Frankly, I'm more concerned about the new mini having an Iris Pro GPU option.

15. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

Me too

16. dudedude thread starter macrumors member

Why because of heat? I'm almost thinking they would stick with the HD5000 like on the Airs, or at least for the lower end model. We are in weird times currently with tech. The race to small, the powerful tablets, the convergence of devices. I guess it will be a little while until it all plays out.

17. imageWIS macrumors 6502a

No, because of GPU capability, esp. in regards to running multiple monitors and graphics-intensive software (Illustrator or AutoCAD).

18. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

If the mini doesn't get Iris Pro I'll wait for Broadwell. The CPU bump of Haswell will not amount to much.

19. mvmanolov macrumors 6502a

Hahah, i love how this has been going on since 2012.... and MR just put out a piece that the 2013 MBA is aging... LOL

p.s.
    i bought my mini in Nov. and love it! does everything i want and then some!

If i'm employed by the time broad well comes about with good 4k support with reasonably priced TV's think about buying then!

But really for anyone that needs a mini now, there is almost no point in waiting... I very much double that we'll even see a Haswell mini...

In any case though, more threads = more posts = more super duper amazing dazzling and invaluable MR digits... woohoo

Edit:

wow, and who is impressed with my spelling....
    This is what happens when one sits grading student papers all day long - BAH - 'eek'