Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willyu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
Darn it!

I was so happy that West World computing got those in and went in today to get one around 5:45pm.

Once I am home, quickly I wanted to check the screen although it's a week 38, 9C738. I don't know if everyone knows but at this site, http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/small/, they have images specifically for small device screen test, ie, ipod. I downloaded the pics, load them up to the ipod, and click on the side by side comparison offered by the site.

Well, the darn thing fails the color bar test (goes too dark too soon), the gamma test (box on left column completely dissolved), the contrast test (pretty much all box non-distinguishable), the saturation test ( blue boxes). Wait the sec, that's failing ALL the tests...

darn, I am heading back to West world tomorrow for an exchange. Hopefully they won't give me too much trouble exchanging it...

I mean, okay, there is no negative black effect anymore, but the screen is still off. For $500 Cdn, I am going to exchange until I am happy with it, else I would rather return it...

So, a week 38 DOESN'T gurantee a good screen... darn it!:(

P.S. although I am :mad: about the screen, I am to say 30min with the pod and it's really amazing...;)

willyu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 26, 2007
well, West World Computing won't exchange it.:mad: Their reason?
1) Officially, Apple didn't say there is any problem with the screen.
2) whatever I am seeing is minor.

So basically, it's up to my own to deal with Apple. Well, I don't want to send it back and forth, wait a few months to get this sort it out.

The last kick in the ass, restocking fee is 15% (of pure profit).

I am really disappointed at them, for a lackluster customer service and a non-caring attitute that I just return it and pay the restocking fee. I don't want to deal with them anymore.

Lesson of the day? Never buy Apply stuff from the small "Authorized Retailer", because
1) they are not Apple Store, so they can't exhange bad product right there but asking you to deal with Apple directly. Well, if that's the case, why would I go to local stores in the first place?
2) they all charge certain amount of "restocking fee" which is basically a way to get your money, for pure profit, then resell the same unit for $10 less as "open box"

well, I am never buying from them again, that's for sure. From now on, only big box retailers like Best Buy will get my business because of their "no hussle" policies. Apparently, small stores DON'T offer better services or price. No wonder they are dying out one by one.

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
my ipod touch failed the white saturation (so did my computer) the gradient test, and the gamma calibration along with the top left blue of the quick gamma/contrast ratio. (I have updated firmware)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.