Bad news, sorta good news

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tokolowicz, Jun 12, 2007.

1. tokolowicz macrumors newbie

Well, my worst nightmare happened to me. As I was pulling my laptop backpack out of my car yesterday, the laptop sleeve was not zippered and out falls my MBP. It definitely got some nice dings on it and needless to say I am fairly depressed. I am so anal about this machine that when my wife uses it, I won't let her use it directly on her lap so the airflow is not blocked. When I go through the airport screening, I put the entire laptop in a clear plastic bag to prevent the bottom from getting scratched in the x-ray bin. Its amazing how emotionally invested in these machines we get, and how we try to protect them as if they were a child.

Now for the sorta good news. Everything seems to be working identically as before. The areas of the case that got dinged are near the hinge so when the display is open the damage is fairly well hidden. I am contemplating just living with the damages instead of getting it repaired. If I were to get it repaired, basically the entire case (including the display) would have to be replaced to have it looking new again. :-(

Here is my question. I have Applecare. Do I have to bring it to the genius bar and have them bless that everything is working correctly after the fall and document the state of the current MBP, so that if something else does go wrong like 6 months from now, they won't chalk it up to the first fall and refuse to repair the issue?

Any advice is appreciated.

Still in mourning...
    /Todd

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

Sorry to hear about your MBP. Unfortunately your warranty is now void since it was dropped. I'm pretty sure about this but someone else might know better than I would.

Backup everything just in case your computer decides to quit working.

Nuc

3. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

It now has beauty marks, use it and enjoy it.........

4. mpw Guest

I treat my MacBook terribly really, I've been known to use it as a tray at dinner:eek: It'll be a year old in a couple of weeks, I'm thinking of cleaning the LCD in celebration.

You put your kid in a plastic bag and send them through the airport x-ray?
    *calls social services*

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Sigh. The Universal Law of Attraction at work. :(

6. joshwest macrumors 65816

joshwest

you could just pull the trigger and send it to colorware and get them to paint it up for you. or just throw a Techshell/speck case on it and you wont have to worry about hurting it anymore

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

The other posters may know more than me, but I doubt dropping your computer completely voids the warranty. I support the idea that you take it in to a Genius, tell them what happened, let them check it out and see if they can record the status in the event of future failures of any kind.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

mazel tov! :p

9. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

10. Membrain macrumors member

Membrain

Same

had the same thing happen to mine, landedon the front corner and warped the slot around the DVD opening. Everything worked fine, six months later hard drive failed. Seems to me the drop contributed to the problem, it doesn't have the sudden motion sensor feature. My point is it was repaired under applecare and the tech even did his best to straighten out the bend around the DVD slot.
    If you take it to an apple store and say you dropped it, they have to record that detail. If you just take it in for repair if something goes wrong, it's warranty.