Bad OWC RAM?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rontheancient, Feb 28, 2008.

1. rontheancient macrumors regular

I recently bought and installed a 2GB pair of OWC RAM. At first, everything was OK, and System Profiler showed all 4GB. But its sometimes shows only 3GB, Profiler tells me that the 2GB OWC pair is actually a 1GB pair, and at the same time, the LED lights on the lower riser is on, this riser holds the paired OWC set, upper for the Apple set. Is it possible that I have bad RAM? Or is it something else?

Thanks,

2. iSail macrumors newbie

1 - Take the OWC riser out and reset the modules (Pop 'em out and put 'em back in). Test again. Could just not be quite set correctly...although if the levers pop into place it's pretty hard NOT to get 'em in right.

2 - If that doesn't work, swap the Apple modules with the OWC and see if the problem moves to the top riser. If so, call OWC and tell them what steps you took...it's probably their RAM at that point.

3 - A bit unlikely but if the problem stays on the bottom riser with Apple ram, it's either the riser card or something in the logic board. Time to visit Applecare.

4 - Even if 1 or 2 solves the problem, you might want to run a memory test, or just watch system profiler to see if ECC errors are showing up, just to make sure it's not partially bad RAM.

3. rontheancient thread starter macrumors regular

After poking around in Profiler a bit more, I found that my Mac failed the Power-On Self Test. The error was located on Riser B, DIMM slot 1, a OWC module. I will do some more tests in the afternoon. Thanks for the help iSail.