Bad Perfume Smell after repair?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Odweaver, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Odweaver macrumors newbie

Last Friday I sent in my macbook for repair, now today after finally getting it back, there were some slight problems such as new passwords being set apparently by the techs and some settings changed. Nothing too major, but the most aggravating thing is this strong bad flowery perfume smell coming off the plastic. Is this issue normal and how long does it take for the smell to go away?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Sure you got YOUR macbook back? Maybe they just put your HD in another computer.

If not, the mind reels. What was it in for?

3. Odweaver thread starter macrumors newbie

The cracking issue near the handrest, honestly with how strong the smell is i'm having trouble weighing which was worse, getting stabbed in the wrist with sharp plastic, or having a burning smell that gives headaches come from the laptop. The plastic on the keyboard and such feel brand new I think it might just be whatever they used to clean it. Right now it is just awful feeling to sit next to my favorite computer that I own which is highly disappointing.

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I had that happen with mine too when I sent it in once. I figured maybe it was some industrial cleaner they used or the smell of thermal putty. I called Apple and they had no idea. I think they thought I was rather too sensitive.

5. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Reminds me of the old ibook keyboard issue. There was a poorly mixed batch of solvent that was used to make a bunch of keyboards - the result was they ended up smelling like stinky feet or lockerrooms. Be happy you at least have a flowery component instead of the ode de reproducing bacteria :eek:.

6. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Yeah this is pretty common. You know when you rip open a new apple product you get that lovely "clean" whif? Its that.

I recently had the keyboard/mouse/plastic replaced on a white MacBook and when I took the plastic protector off of it, it reaked...more so than the standard Apple "new" smell.

7. Breegy macrumors 6502

Breegy

It should smell like apples :rolleyes:

8. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Yep, new MacBooks typically come with a new car smell.

10. dchen720 macrumors member