Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Odweaver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Last Friday I sent in my macbook for repair, now today after finally getting it back, there were some slight problems such as new passwords being set apparently by the techs and some settings changed. Nothing too major, but the most aggravating thing is this strong bad flowery perfume smell coming off the plastic. Is this issue normal and how long does it take for the smell to go away?

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Sure you got YOUR macbook back? Maybe they just put your HD in another computer.

If not, the mind reels. What was it in for?

Odweaver

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Sure you got YOUR macbook back? Maybe they just put your HD in another computer.

If not, the mind reels. What was it in for?

The cracking issue near the handrest, honestly with how strong the smell is i'm having trouble weighing which was worse, getting stabbed in the wrist with sharp plastic, or having a burning smell that gives headaches come from the laptop. The plastic on the keyboard and such feel brand new I think it might just be whatever they used to clean it. Right now it is just awful feeling to sit next to my favorite computer that I own which is highly disappointing.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Reminds me of the old ibook keyboard issue. There was a poorly mixed batch of solvent that was used to make a bunch of keyboards - the result was they ended up smelling like stinky feet or lockerrooms. Be happy you at least have a flowery component instead of the ode de reproducing bacteria :eek:.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Yeah this is pretty common. You know when you rip open a new apple product you get that lovely "clean" whif? Its that.

I recently had the keyboard/mouse/plastic replaced on a white MacBook and when I took the plastic protector off of it, it reaked...more so than the standard Apple "new" smell.

Breegy

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2008
Yeah this is pretty common. You know when you rip open a new apple product you get that lovely "clean" whif? Its that.

I recently had the keyboard/mouse/plastic replaced on a white MacBook and when I took the plastic protector off of it, it reaked...more so than the standard Apple "new" smell.

It should smell like apples :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.