Bad phone or bad network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dvrmstrng, Oct 31, 2009.

1. dvrmstrng macrumors 6502

Today for some reason while visiting Delaware over a course of the last 12 hours I have had half of my calls fail with 3g and full bars. My texts would also not send and when trying to connect to wifi later in the day the phone said something about not being able to activate a network. Any ideas?

2. Stryker Squad macrumors newbie

Stryker Squad

You're not alone

I have had the exact same problems over the last month. At times, my signal strength will get lost and go into "searching" mode for about five minutes, then go to Edge network, where I know there is 3G coverage. All my calls get dropped after approximately one minute, then gives me the "called failed" option to call again, but cannot re-engage the call. After all these problems, I finally took my phone into an AT&T store...they swapped out my SIM card, hoping that this would resolve my issues, but to no avail. I tried everything, soft resets, hard resets, resetting the phone back to factory settings...nothing. After the swap and still having the same problems, I took the phone into an Apple store....they listened to my story and said, "You definately have a bad phone" and swapped it out for a brand new one. I took it home and restored the brand new phone to my most recent backup. Did it change anything....nope! I had the exact same problems. I also tried not restoring the new phone with an old backup, thinking something may be wrong with my old backup, but still the same set of problems. I called tech support with AT&T and Apple. I spoke to several people. They currently have an open case on my problem and said it is a network problem, rather than a software/hardware problem. My phone for some reason has massive problems using the 3G network, but no problem when at home on my Wi-Fi. Currently my 3G setting is disabled and on Edge so I can text and use the internet. As soon as I get home, I'm back to Wi-Fi. AT&T has been working on my problem for a week now and said as of yesterday, they are still working on it. I would suggest you calling AT&T to get a case started, so that they can fix your issue. Hope this helps.

3. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Well where do I start my journey. Am I better off at the apple store or AT&T.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

two things

if you go too AT&T they can try a new sims chip other then that visit Apple they can do diagnostics there. Apple will be the most help they swapped my 3gs after failed calls. ;)

5. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Ten to One that both posts are the result of network problems.

6. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

Well getting a new phone out of it wouldn't be too bad, right?

7. vesnyder macrumors newbie

Amen! I have been having similar issues since I got my iPhone. I had been using BlackBerry's for several years and just over the last two months have moved over to the iPhone. I have been getting on average one phone call a day dropped and yesterday I was sending texts and they were not going through - with no indication that the person receiving was not getting the texts? Phone or network - no idea?

8. firewood macrumors 604

If it's a network problem, then a new phone may not even be as good as the old one.

9. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Network.

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i think its a combo of a stressed network and a phone with inferior antenna design. I recently got 3g in my area and my phone can be sitting on my desk and itll have full service 3g but as soon as i pick it up it drops right to 1 bar and sometimes switched to edge. Also some days sitting on my desk my phone will have full 3g and sometimes no better than 2 bars of edge varying from day to day. I have even considered picking up a used 3g blackjack2 just to compare each phones ability to stay on the network. I think Apple, in its quest to make it sleek and sexy, really cut corners on the iPhones antenna.

11. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Absolutely :)

What's more, this "let's get something for nothing" sentiment really sucks!

12. Stryker Squad macrumors newbie

Stryker Squad

Bad network

AT&T told me it is a network problem. Keep in mind I have gone through two different iPhones and still experiencing the exact same set of problems. I tend to believe it is a network issue.

13. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

yea but replacement phones with the same poorly designed antenna will yield the same results, i think its an afterthought antenna issue

14. dvrmstrng thread starter macrumors 6502

so deal with it...or get a new phone, that is it better cosmetic shape then the one i currently own, and deal with it?

15. archipellago macrumors 65816

bottom line:

if you use a phone, first and foremost as a phone then get something else.

If you can't do without the other iphone specific features then you'll have to stick with it.

up to you..

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9550/5.0.0.320 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

I work in Delaware. I guaranty it is AT&T's fault, not your phone's.