mikegoldnj

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 27, 2005
Does this look like a screen/pixel issue on my X?

f665be94ca87ffd853046452cab22758.jpg

alanderp

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2016
Yup, someone posted the same issue earlier and he/ she said they were able to get a straight swap for a new device from the Apple Store. Apparently they have a stock in case things like this happen.

Reactions: mikegoldnj

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Yup, someone posted the same issue earlier and he/ she said they were able to get a straight swap for a new device from the Apple Store. Apparently they have a stock in case things like this happen.

Yes, Apple has replacement devices specifically set aside for defective units in store. It's not however guaranteed how many each store has.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Just a note of caution. If you do get a "replacement" unit vs simply returning and purchasing a new iPhone X, you are stuck with the replacement as a warranty unit and it can not be returned in the 14 day window for a refund should you decide the iPhone X is not for you. It can only be replaced by another warranty replacement unit.

Dave

Apple_prince31

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
Had the same issue. Saw it right away when I was setting up my phone. Good thing the authorized apple reseller (where I bought mine) replaced it with a brand new iPhone X the next day. Apple should be extra tight with their quality control. F9E0942E-AFA0-4384-AB9A-8AFC8DD3D9D7.jpeg

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Apple should be extra tight with their quality control.

Since you had a dead pixel on your iPhone X, there is a clear difference between a defect and quality control issue. A dead pixel isn't a quality control issue, that's a defect.

A Defect would be what you experienced, a dead pixel or a bad speaker for example on an iPhone is a Clear example of a defect. Not every display would be perfect, because that's what happens when you mass produce an iPhone into the millions.

A Quality control issue would be if you had a scratch on your iPhone, dust under the camera lens cover, or fingerprints on your brand new iPhone. Those types of issues are preventable or should be more controlled during the manufacturing process.

Apple_prince31

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
Since you had a dead pixel on your iPhone X, there is a clear difference between a defect and quality control issue. A dead pixel isn't a quality control issue, that's a defect.

A Defect would be what you experienced, a dead pixel or a bad speaker for example on an iPhone is a Clear example of a defect. Not every display would be perfect, because that's what happens when you mass produce an iPhone into the millions.

A Quality control issue would be if you had a scratch on your iPhone, dust under the camera lens cover, or fingerprints on your brand new iPhone. Those types of issues are preventable or should be more controlled during the manufacturing process.

My iPhone 7 actually had a dust under the camera lens and a few dead pixels, my brother had the same thing too on his 7 plus, so yeah I think there must really be a quality control issue, but as you have said, apple produce millions of iPhones. I guess I really can’t blame them for getting a defective unit. Thanks for the info though! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.