Bad Pixel (Stuck) Update

Discussion in 'iMac' started by badcrc32, May 13, 2008.

1. badcrc32 macrumors regular

I had a bad pixel. Thought I would update the experience.

I called apple, returned the iMac. They gave me shipping tags. Appologized. No questions like how many pixels. No hardtime. The support was in US.

I had to call back support about return tags taking to long, they ended up giving me .mac for 1yr and a shuffle.

I spoke with a manager, he made sure everything was great. I had the replacement in 7 days.

You will never get this experience with any PC manufacturer. Having used both hp and dell its not even comparable. I understand mistakes happen, and apple support was 2nd to none.

Happy Computing,
    Jeffrey

BTW- I had to ship back cause my mac was custom.

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Stories about Apple go both ways (great and terrible), but generally most people with horror stories only got there by yelling at customer service. I had a dead pixel when I got my imac, but it disappeared quickly. Hopefully, I'll never need to test Apple's generosity, but if I do, it's good to know they're willing to replace stuff just like that.

Congrats. :D

3. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

i've actually had both good and bad apple service. nothing along the lines of a horrible experience, but just a lot of miscommunication. one service rep says one thing while another says the other, but that's just the nature of a massive company like Apple with phone support, retail stores and 3rd party technicians (etc.).

recently i sent an email to steve@apple.com concerning the poor quality screen on my 24" iMac, not at all expecting a reply. a few days later a rep called me to get more information and to set up an exchange at the local Apple Store for me. the rep also said she'd follow up on the replacement sometime this week. unfortunately, although the new iMac's gradient is less noticeable, it's still there, as is the light leaks (screen bleeding) that are very noticeable when the screen fades to black. so i'll see how the follow up goes.

maybe if i'm lucky like badcrc32 they'll send me a free iPod Shuffle :p

4. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, well there was a little miscommunication between different reps. I was spose to get next day, and got 2 day...All in all though I was extremly satisfied, being a computer professional I deal with Support constantly. Their support was so high caliber, noone is even close. Im already planning my next mac. Thinking of a 13" macbook. Just to surf the web while on couch.

5. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

Same here. With a company the size of Apple, you don't know what to expect.

I've had several great experiences - Magsafe started melting, replaced on the spot. Battery on MBP almost dead after less than 1 year - checked overnight, battery defective, returned the next day with a new battery, etc.

Had a pretty horrible experience getting my iPhone repaired, though. One month after the release date and it stopped sensing touches on a strip across the screen. Took over 3 months to repair and when it came back it didn't work. Then they charged $430 from my card for the repair 1 day after I recieved it! (aka - a new phone) I called my CS rep several times and they finally refunded $375. I tried to get the rest back, but after that my CS rep wouldn't return any calls, so I just gave up on the $50. (that on top of the $30 for the stupid loaner...by the time I got mine back they had discontinued loaners and didn't even know what to do with them!)

Through all this I was told the wrong thing to do 4 different times and everyone said, "Well, that guy shouldn't have told you that" instead of, "Let me help make this right".

And I definitely didn't yell at CS, as I don't really ever get worked up about anything. Even through all that, I wasn't mad so much as disappointed that no one wanted to help me after I had always had good experiences before.

6. badcrc32 thread starter macrumors regular

interesting...

I tend to get angry and a short fuse. The guy started appologizing for messing up the next day I laughed. All day long I deal with India with PC's server and storage, its a joke. Apple was so nice to deal with it was amazing. Man. I am so happy to have a mac. I am installing bootcamp XP, maybe just to game with other than than im done. I have a cisco vpn client with rdp for work when I am home. I just refuse to have that garbage in my home.

My other two apple returns went well. I sweated on my shuffles in the gym, shorted them out. there great for working out for form factor. however dont take well to water. Oh well.