Bad post merging

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by cube, May 27, 2016.

1. cube macrumors G5

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

What do you mean by that? :confused:

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm assuming that it means that if someone liked the first post and then the poster posts another one that is automatically merged that like stays there.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Ahh, I see.

Well that sort of makes sense. Someone likes post #1, shortly there after, post #2 is added and automerged. There's no facility to clear out any likes, and to a degree I'd say there shouldn't be, since people like what post #1 had and that was unchanged.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it is fine how it is. The main place that I see it being an issue is in the PRSI where someone may like a post because they thought someone had a reasonable or good point, and then it gets auto merged with one where the person who did the liking thinks the other poster went off the deep end.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The PRSI is a dumpster fire of a forum, there's not much good coming out of that forum anyways.

I guess that's the risk, but then the person liking the post, can always unlike

7. cube thread starter macrumors G5

If the last post has likes, merging should not happen.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why?

Personally, my opinion is that I don't have a problem with that occurring.

tbh, I'm not sure the plug-in being used for the auto-merge has the level of refinement.

9. cube thread starter macrumors G5

It is not only about disliking, somebody likes a joke, and then it gets applied to some additional information, breaking the whole thing.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2016 ---
    Well, I thought it was most probably not your code, but that you should tell your provider.

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

How about the even simpler scenario where a post can be edited to anything else at pretty much any point and whatever likes that were there would still be there no matter what the newly edited post might say (even something opposite of what the original one said)?

11. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Ok, so actually modifying a post should delete likes.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

That doesn't work for all posts, though. Some threads may have an extensive first post with lots of information that changes and is thus edited over time, and such posts may easily have dozens of likes. Also, if all you do is fix a typo, it seems a bit harsh to remove all likes based on that and might even confuse the users liking the post.

After all, likes don't give you any features or privileges. If that was the case, it would make sense to enforce a stricter system to make sure all likes are valid, but given the current situation I don't see how that would be meaningful.

13. cube thread starter macrumors G5

Well, in any case, this has brought out to my attention that the safe bet is to NEVER like somebody's post.

14. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

And/or be discriminating in liking and reading. Thanks.

15. cube thread starter macrumors G5

I was hyperbolizing.

16. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

That's a bit extreme. I generally trust people here on MacRumors to not drastically change the content of their post after it is liked, and I avoid edits after someone likes or quotes my post (unless it's a minor correction/detail or prefaced with "Edit").

Unless you're referring to the PRSI section specifically, in that case I completely agree.