Bad power supply on iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Natpray78, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Natpray78 macrumors newbie

Hi! I'm new to Mac computers. I just recently purchased a Apple iMac 20in 2.16GHz core 2 duo 4gb RAM. It worked great for the first couple weeks. Now I'm unable to power it on at all. I purchased a new power cord, hoping maybe that was the problem. It didnt change anything so I took it in to MacPro's and they told me it was a bad power supply but were unable to order the part since its an older computer (late 2006). I'm wondering if someone could tell me what part I would need to fix it and if that's really true that I wouldn't be able to find a part to fix it. Thanks much!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Have you any experience in fixing computers? If not I wouldn't start with a PSU on an iMac. If you can find the part number (google?) you maybe able to still order one of ebay or something, but the iMac is not an easy tear down and repair.
    If you are not experienced, try another computer repair store, but the cost might be more than the machine is worth.

3. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

There is a possibility that iFixit.com might have the part. Plus they have some good tutorials on how to do it. Give them a quick check. You never know.

4. Natpray78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Ill give it a try. Thanks. Do u know what part I should look for?

5. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

No I do not. Contact iFixit or ask a question on their boards. Pretty good people there. I have dealt with them on a few occasions.

You may also be able to ask at an Apple Store for the part number. They may be kind enough to supply you with it. Can not guarantee it though.

Just make sure you have all the specifics of your machine handy (model #, size, etc.).

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac