Bad QT export in FCP 5.0.4 on G5

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by KlaasVaker, Jan 31, 2008.

1. KlaasVaker macrumors newbie

Recently I bought a new G5 2 x Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon with a RadeonX1900 video card and two Cinema HD displays. I frequently updated my software, so unfortunately I run Quicktime Pro 7.4 on it.

The problem is that I can't get nice quicktime exports from Final Cut pro 5.0.4 anymore. They are all very blury, and just look awfull. Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? I am thinking of going back to the Apple Store because I spend a whole lot money hoping to get the best there is on the marktet, look back that might have been naieve, but my goal is to have a good edit set at home. Before going back to the store, I want to try and solve it myself.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

First off, you don't have a G5, you have a Mac Pro (big difference there in terms of hardware and how some apps will act). Secondly, you are using an old version of FCP that is not intended to be used on Mac Pros (or any other Mac that uses intel CPUs because 5.0.4 is a "PPC app" not a "universal app"). Third, as you know, you downloaded QT 7.4 aka QT update of death. ;)

The first thing I'd do is go here and downgrade to an earlier version of QT. The second thing I'd do is purchase the upgrade to Final Cut Studio 2 so you aren't running PPC software anymore.

Lethal

3. KlaasVaker thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanx for your reply Lethal, thing is I got about 500 GB of footage on my harddrive, I am afraid that if I downgrade QT, stuff might get damaged and then I will be screwed. Plus does this mean that all the footage I imported threw firewire so far in FCP has bad quality to begin with? Another thing I am in a pretty far stage of edditng all of this in my old FCP, can I continue editting this on a newer version?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

All though odd ball things can happen, downgrading your version of QT shouldn't effect any of your QT movies. To always be on the safe side though you could get a FW drive and clone everything to that drive so you have something to go back to if stuff doesn't go right. When you are working on a project you should never, ever upgrade any software unless it is for an update that address a specific problem you are having. Of course, as it is right now stuff isn't working right anyway so what are you going to lose by upgrading to FCS2? Like I said though, you probably want to play it safe and back-up everything before hand.

Lethal