Bad RAM or Bad SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Acejam2k, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Acejam2k macrumors regular

I don't want to clutter up the Samsung 830 thread with my own issues, so I've decided to post about them here in a new thread.

I bought a new late-2011 15" MBP last week. 2.5 i7 quad, 4GB RAM, 7200rpm 750GB HDD, HighRes-AntiGlare.

I also ordered a Samsung 830 256 GB SSD and a Corsair 16GB RAM kit from NewEgg. Once I brought the MBP home, I immediately installed both new components. Lion was downloaded and installed using internet recovery, and all was well. Fast forward 3-4 hours later, and my system froze. I was using Chrome, and probably had about 2-3 browser tabs open. Forum pages, no flash videos. I did not receive any beachballs, but all windows were frozen. However, I was able to move around the mouse curosr, but that was it.

A similar crash occurred the next day, same symptoms. Windows freeze up, and I could still move the cursor, but the cursor this time was a spinning beachball. These crashes never respond, and I always have to power off the machine using the power button.

I'm trying to figure out if I need to RMA the SSD, or the RAM. I ran 5 rounds of Memtest against the 16GB RAM, and all tests passed fine. (took 6+ hours, etc) Typically in the PC world whenever I've received bad RAM, Memtest usually fails within the first round. (usually within 5 minutes of starting) Also, wouldn't bad RAM typically result in a kernel panic screen?

I know there are plenty of SATA3/6Gbps SSD issues as well. My negotiated link speed is 6Gbps, and the drive was recognized immediately on the first boot. However, a lot of these SATA3 issues involve a 20-30 second pause, and then the system returns. The difference here is, my system never returns back from freezing.

I removed the 16GB RAM kit last night, and put the stock 4GB RAM back in. So far, the machine has been stable.

As for the SSD, I have tried the following:

- Reset PRAM
    - Reset SMC
    - Disable HDD sleep under Energy Saver Preferences
    - Disable SMS (Sudden Motion Sensor)

For the first 2-3 days I did *NOT* enable TRIM. However, after receiving a few more lockups/crashes, I enabled TRIM, using the command-line string replace method. (not "TRIM enabler", which uses old Snow-Leopard kext files)

So my question is: How can I isolate where the true problem is?

Thanks,
    Ace

2. Saberon macrumors 6502a

FYI, Trim enabler 2.0 uses the safe method of TRIM and not the snow leopard patch anymore. (Essentially automates the command line version that you did with a single click)

After 5 passes of Memtest and the OK was given, I wouldn't think it's your RAM at all. Keep playing around with your original 4GB and see if you can get it to lock up on you for another day or two.

3. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

I could not agree with you more about the Memtest point.

I'm currently installing Windows 7 x64 via Boot Camp and hoping to run the Samsung SSD Magican to try and see if it will tell me anything about the SSD's drive health. (other than the SMART status)

4. sfoalex macrumors 6502

Exactly what you want to do. Make one change, test it, make one more change, test it and so on. Weed out the problem.

5. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

About the RAM - I just couple of days ago bought 2 Corsair sticks from Newegg - No errors in memtest but Windows froze and bluescreened randomly for 5 times in 2 hours.

So it might still be RAM - my bet is it is likely to be the RAM even if memtest doesn't show anything. See if it's properly seated and do one change at a time to verify as someone said above.

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Have you used the machine in its stock configuration at all? Perhaps something else is borked, but you haven't had a chance to notice it.

7. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

To be honest, I haven't. But I never planned on using the stock 750GB HDD.

8. miker2209 macrumors regular

miker2209

I've experienced the same symptoms you have when i first installed my SSD and it had a loose connection. After putting it back properly everything was fine. Have you checked the connection? If everything is connected properly then i think you probably have a defective machine. put everything back and take it to the Store and get it checked out.
    Personally i think people should always use the stock for atleast 2-3 just to make sure everything is fine first.

9. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

No loose connections here.

10. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I would suspect the memory. Have you tried the original memory.

11. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

I'm running with the original 4GB memory now. I put it back in last night and opened up Chrome with 100+ tabs, and it handled it without issue. I also did plenty of CPU stress testing with this stock memory and no issues at all.

I've been using my MBP at work today off an on. The Samsung SSD is still in the MBP, but I'm back on the stock RAM. No issues since replacing the memory back to stock last night.

12. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

So the machine ran fine yesterday on my stock 4GB of RAM. I decided to put the 16GB RAM back into the machine last night just for kicks. So far, everything has been running OK. I tried multiple CPU stress and browser tab tests last night, and I experienced no crashing or freezing of any kind. I also ran 1 round of Memtest on each individual DIMM, and no errors were returned.

I put both DIMM's back into the MBP and ran 10 rounds of Memtest overnight on all 16GB. I had to cancel the test when it was time to leave for work, but at that point I had completed 7 rounds. Therefore, I'm pretty sure the RAM modules themselves are OK, based off Memtest runs.

I also blew some air onto the RAM slots when I took the 4GB out, and onto the 8GB DIMM's. Now I'm wondering if either A) I seated the RAM incorrectly or B) A small piece of lint got in the way of the RAM contact patch, allowing part of the memory to not be properly addressed.

The system recognized all 16GB previously, but perhaps one of the DIMM's was loose. Since I was using the laptop in my lap, maybe sudden movement caused the DIMM's to move slightly, causing my instability/freezes. As stupid as this sounds, I'm actually hoping this is the issue, because I'd really like to keep this RAM and SSD.

For kicks, I ran yet another memory test once I got to work this morning. This time I tried using Rember, which I'm pretty sure uses Memtest as a back-end app. This also passed, screen shots below.

Attached Files:

13. sfoalex macrumors 6502

I have had my machine give me the three beeps out of no where. Reseating the memory solved it. I hate these memory slots. Wish there were a better design for them so you know the chips are well seated and that they will not loosen.

14. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I'm glad things are working now.

15. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

I just got another freeze. :mad:

No beachball this time. All windows locked up, except for the mouse cursor. I had to manually power the machine off.

Back to 4GB I go!

16. intelssd macrumors newbie

sorry to bring this back but did you figure out what your issue was?

Im having the same type of bs problems. Almost think it was just the back cover not being seated perfect.. those 10 screws on the back need to be tight so these like ground connections on the motherboard touch the back cover. Please let me know :)

17. Acejam2k thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I did. It turned out that my 16GB Corsair RAM kit was faulty. I RMA'd it back to NewEgg for a full refund, and put my stock 4GB kit back in. My machine was then stable.

I did have a firmware issue with my Samsung 830 SSD, but Samsung support took care of it with an overnight replacement. However, this occurred in a month or two later.

I eventually picked up a 16GB Crucial RAM kit, which is what I'm running now. So far my machine has been stable for the past month, since installing the new RAM kit.

18. IeU macrumors member

One of the 5 passes failed, does this mean my RAM stick is bad?

Code:
    Memtest version 4.22 (64-bit)
    Copyright (C) 2004 Charles Cazabon
    Copyright (C) 2004 - 2008 Tony Scaminaci (Macintosh port)
    Licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2 only

Log file written to /Users/Constance/memtest.log

Mac OS X 10.7.3 (11D50b) running in single user mode
    Memory Page Size: 4096
    System has 4 Intel core(s) with SSE
    Requested memory: 7695MB (8068878336 bytes)
    Available memory: 7695MB (8068878336 bytes)
    NOTE: Memory request is too large, reducing to acceptable value...
    Allocated memory: 7479MB (7842949696 bytes) at local address 0x0000000101000000
    Attempting memory lock... locked successfully
    Splitting allocated memory into 2 comparison buffers...
    Buffer A: 3739MB (3921474848 bytes) starts at local address 0x0000000101000000
    Buffer B: 3739MB (3921474848 bytes) starts at local address 0x00000001eabcf520

Running 5 test sequences... (CTRL-C to quit)

Test sequence 1 of 5:

Running tests on entire 7479MB region...
      Stuck Address       :    ok
      Linear PRN          :    ok
    Running comparison tests using 3739MB buffers...
      Random Value        :    ok
      Compare XOR         :    ok
      Compare SUB         :    ok
      Compare MUL         :    ok
      Compare DIV         :    ok
      Compare OR          :    ok
      Compare AND         :    ok
      Sequential Increment:    ok
      Solid Bits          :    ok
      Block Sequential    :    ok
      Checkerboard        :    ok
      Bit Spread          :    ok
      Bit Flip            :    ok
      Walking Ones        :    ok
      Walking Zeroes      :    ok

Test sequence 2 of 5:

Block Sequential    :    

FAILURE! Data mismatch at local BUFA address 0x0000000187a1bee0, BUFB address 0x00000002715eb400
    BUFA Data: 0x1e1e1e1e1e1e1e1e, BUFB Data: 0x1a1e1e1e1e1e1e1e

Test sequence 3 of 5:

Test sequence 4 of 5:

Test sequence 5 of 5:

*** Memory Test Failed ***  Please check logfile for details.
    Execution time: 13188 seconds.