Bad ram or slot? help me decide.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ajwf, May 31, 2012.

1. ajwf macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I own a 2009 macbook pro unibody model a1278, 4gbs ram, core 2 duo processor, nvidia graphics.

Anyways, I have been numerous hardware related issues since the beginning of last year. Some of these include Mac does not always sleep or wake back up. This is an issue I have heard is quite common, and it used to annoy me, but I can't be bothered to fix it (especially if its a logic board problem).

But the problem I'm having today that I would really like your opinion on is the problem with my ram. I don't know whether to diagnose my issue as a bad ram stick, or a faulty ram slot. I have a pair of 2gb sticks installed (4gb)

There will be times where my system (about this mac/system activity) recognizes and utilizes both sticks and my computer runs optimally, but most of the time my mac only recognizes one of the ram sticks and reports the internal ram as 2gb instead of 4. My reasoning for believing it is possibly a faulty connection between the board and the slot is based on an accident I had on my board where I ended up falling on my mac.

Furthermore, I also ran memtest and it said my ram was all good.

What do you guys think?

2. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Try one RAM stick separately in each slot one at a time. That should isolate if one of the slots is bad. Also, wouldn't hurt to run the AHT to further diagnose your problem.