Bad Ram Slot MacBookPro8,2

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danmcg, Oct 21, 2012.

1. danmcg macrumors newbie

So I have just run through a battery of tests and am pretty sure that the outer slot (I'll call it slot 2) for my RAM is bad. I have run memtest multiple times.

both sticks either order = failure
    stick a/slot 1 = ok
    stick b/slot 1 = ok
    stick a/slot 2 = failure
    stick b/slot 2 = failure

AHT gave the same type of thing when I did the extended test. My mac is out of warranty so I have no coverage there although it was bought with an AMEX card. From what I understand they extend warranty by another year on top of the manufacturers warranty.

Has anyone done this before with AMEX? Also, is there something else I can try that I might be missing?

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Yeah you start a claim up with Amex, then you have the computer repaired. You pay for the repair with your Amex card; you get statement credit for the repair.

3. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

RAM does have a failure rate though; it's not uncommon for a stick to die. Have you tried any other RAM?

4. danmcg thread starter macrumors newbie

I have some others at the office I will try in the am. The reason I am thinking slot is because no matter which stick goes in slot 2 it is bad. But both are fine in slot 1...

5. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

Yeah, then it probably is a bad slot. However, keep us posted on what happens when you fill both slots with other RAM.

6. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Me too.. Logic Board..

Same thing for me about 2 months ago, except Slot 1 malfunctioned ~ became a 'Three Beep Nightmare' ~ indicating a RAM issue.. With mine it was the Logic Board, and I think RAM Slots are integral to it unfortunately..

My MacBook Pro 8,2 (mid 2011 2.2 i7) has Applecare so I cannot say what the cost may be even, but I would guess $700-800 perhaps from other previous models.. :(

Hopefully yours may be something else.. I did find that I could completely run the computer on just one RAM Stick though while diagnosing the problem, although I have NO idea if that is a bad thing to do as far as Machine Stress at all.. if I had to pay The Full Repair I may have limped along until I replaced the computer to be honest.. Good Luck!! :apple:

7. danmcg thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so this is the update. This am at the office I installed 2x2gb PC3 10600 sticks. Triple beep. Yanked them and put in the 2x4gb sticks that were previously installed. Booted up fine (though that was never and issues except with the 2gb sticks). Rebooted and ran the memtest all 2 from CLI and it passed fine. So now I am up and running so far. I will run it for awhile and test it out to see how it goes. Perhaps this evening I will do a stress test on the ram that is installed and see how it goes. If all is well then I will try the 2x8gb PC3 10600 again.

For ref they are 8gb PCs-10600 1333 Mhz
    NON ECC 9-9-9-25

http://www.amazon.com/KOMPUTERBAY-DDR2-DIMM-800Mhz-6400/dp/B0043BF3AE

Got them from Amazon. Seem to be working fine in my coworkers machines. We had purchased 4 sets of 2x8gb sticks to upgrade the laptops in the office. I am the only MBP though. Everyone else is on HP laptops. Most reviews seem positive, but others have errors.

Seems odd to have the one bay throwing the error though. I am guessing it has something to do with it just being a weird batch of memory that is not playing nicely with that slot perhaps? Ah well. They have already approved the return regardless of what my further testing concludes...