Bad Ram??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by a9205, Jul 22, 2011.

1. a9205 macrumors member

Hi i just picked up 8GB ram from crucial for my 2010 MBP, but when i ran geekbench to check memory performance it has drastically declined.
    is this something i should be worried about.
    About this mac does register 8gb ram btw.
    Thanks

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

This is fairly common. I also upgraded the RAM from 2GB to 8GB myself, and when I checked the Geekbench/Xbench score, it was either same or lower, never higher. However, you'll notice an increase in performance, such as multitasking or rendering.

3. a9205 thread starter macrumors member

yeah performance seems to improve, but i was worried i may have not installed it perfectly or received dodgy ram, cheers

4. theturtle macrumors 6502a

yeah, im curious about this too.

bought the amazon crucial ram and my geekbench comes out to be around 8800. Thats almost a 1200 point drop (from the benchmarks i see). Some of the videos on youtube also show peoples score go up from the increase of ram. whats going on? :confused:

5. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Don't worry about it. It's most likely that the programs such as Geekbench or Xbench are not testing the full potential of the RAMs, such as how many apps can run at the same time, etc. Scores do not always represent the quality nor the real world. If you would like to run the test, do what I did:
    While on 2GB RAM, I ran 30 application and see how well it performed (glitchy, laggy, freezing, etc.)
    Upgrade to 8GB RAM, run the same 30 applications and see how it goes (smooth, no lag, no freeze. Even SC2, Safari, and iTunes can run at the same time, which is amazing to me.)

6. theturtle macrumors 6502a

yeah :/ its just that im curious on why my results are so low though

people on youtube upgrade their ram and seem to get a slight increase in numbers. its weird though, i get 996X when i run geekbench while charging (which is still lower than the stock 9991) and get the low 86XX when im running geekbench off the charger.

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i always run memtest after purchasing new ram just to make sure there are no problems with the ram.

8. Johnny Who macrumors newbie

But is there such a thing as "bad-quality" RAM ?

Will my computer react negatively to upgrading my standard RAM on a 2011 MBP from 2x2Gb to 2x4Gb with OWC gear ?

9. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i think not really bad quality ram, but defective ram, yes.

i don't think u will have issue with the owc ram. besides most rams have lifetime warranty so u don't really have to worry.