iPad mini Bad screen resolution and color on mini retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by preetb, Dec 21, 2013.

1. preetb, Dec 21, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2013

preetb macrumors member

While in the Palo Alto store yesterday, I went to try the retina mini to see if I should get one in addition to my iPad Air.

Since I use it for reading, I opened an iBooks page and found a gray overcast in the background. In addition, I found jagged edges in the fonts.

Thinking that it might be my eyes, I asked a young sales rep to compare the retina screens on the mini and on the Air, using identical pages.

Sure 'nuff: No gray overcast or jagged font edges on the Air, but definitely on the mini! :mad:

2. Max(IT), Dec 21, 2013

Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Color gamut of the two iPads are different, so you can see a difference in white balance ...

But I can't understand how could you see something jagged on an iPad Mini Retina :confused:
    Same resolution of the Air on a smaller display results in an higher DPI.

3. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

rMini has higher DPI, so jagged edges are impossible.

I am super anal retentive when it comes to screens. I've returned phones or tablets up to 9 times because screen isn't perfect.

The first rMini I had came with a couple of dead pixels, so I returned it.

This one is flawless. I have no issues with low resolution.

You were probably looking at a first gen.

4. preetb thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I had the same reaction you did re the jagged font edge. Thinking that a higher pixel density would actually make the fonts sharper isn't actually true.

Try it in the store.

PS, the gray overcast is really annoying, if you're used to reading on a crisp white background on the iPad Air.

----------

No wasn't looking at a first gen mini.

Had the salesperson check the serial numbers to make sure.

Definitely retina screen to retina screen comparison.

Maybe it was this batch only so I suggest people try a comparison in store and see...

5. aiyaaabatt macrumors 6502

I hope you guys know that there are mini retina and non retinas on display in all apple stores, on the same tables next to one another. The retina mini has a higher dpi than the air so it's impossible for it to have more jagged fonts than the air. You noobs we're prly looking at the non retina minis

6. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

There are no jagged fonts on my rMini. I use the Kindle app and the text is sharp. The background isn't quite as white as web pages, but pretty close with the brightness turned up.

7. Zxxv Suspended

I read a lot and typing this on iPad mini with retina. There are no jagedies in iBooks or kindle app. You were looking at the wrong one.

8. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Absolutely correct. I have both minis. Side by side you can see that the rMini print is a little crisper but pick up either one and you will not know which one you have in your hand. To say the original is inferior or on unusable just isn't correct.

The rMini is as sharp and crisp as the human eye can detect certainly not jagged.

Too many people on this forum feel a need to justify why they don't have a product by criticizing it. Hundreds of thousands of people are thrilled with the rMini. Just say you don't want one and that is enough..it is not necessary to make exaggerated claims after spending a few minutes with one in a store.

9. Zxxv Suspended

When ever I picked up my sisters original mini the jagged text is the first thing I noticed, each and every time. Not so with retina. I'd bet I'd tell which is which ten times out of ten. It's that obvious.

10. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

No doubt there is a small difference in the two and if you decided to forego the small form factor of the first mini that is fine. However, I liked the form factor and was thrilled with it for an entire year. As in all technology we move on so, I now have the rMini as my primary. Next year I will have whatever the latest technology brings. That still doesn't dampen that at the time two or three years ago I was using the latest while the critics were sitting on the sidelines complaining and waiting for maybe the next evolution.

11. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

Agree. I wanted a mini when it first came out, but having retina screens on my other devices, I knew I wouldn't be happy with it. I love my rMini. I wasn't sure I would like the smaller print but it is fine.

12. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

Dude it can't be a batch .... Resolution and screen dimension are fixed, and with that DPI you can't see jagged fonts. It's just impossible !

----------

I used to have an iPad 2, and I was very happy with it.
    When iPad 3 was presented, I said : "I don't really need a retina display".
    Six month later I bought an iPad 4 and after two weeks I had problems using my MBP because of the resolution !
    Once you try retina, it's hard to came back.

13. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

[/COLOR]

I used to have an iPad 2, and I was very happy with it.
    When iPad 3 was presented, I said : "I don't really need a retina display".
    Six month later I bought an iPad 4 and after two weeks I had problems using my MBP because of the resolution !
    Once you try retina, it's hard to came back.[/QUOTE]

That's for sure. I hate using my computer screen at work and never use my MacBook Air anymore.

14. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm waiting for a 13" MacBook Air Retina and I'll change my 15" MBP ....

15. JackieInCo, Dec 21, 2013

JackieInCo macrumors 601

Maybe you were looking at the original Mini on display in the store. They still have them and with the Retina Mini, there are no jagged text edges in iBooks. I have actually started to use iBooks now because of this.

The Minis are not marked as being Retina or non Retina at the Apple store

Attached Files:

16. preetb thread starter macrumors member

Poor darlings, didn't mean to insult your delicate rMini sensibilities, but the flagship PALO ALTO Apple store salesman did in fact check serial numbers to make sure, as some you of observant geniuses noted, there are indeed non r and rMinis all under the same roof.

Re "Just say you don't want one and that is enough..it is not necessary to make exaggerated claims after spending a few minutes with one in a store."

Look sweet pea, I in fact want a mini since I already have an iPad Air, iMac, 2 Macbooks, 2 iphones. That's why, I was in the store and spent the time examining the screens.

Re the possible issue of a faulty batch of screens, yes indeed it is quite possible.

17. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

What book did you look at? If it was a PDF, some PDFs are actually not text, rather scanned images of a book. You will then see jagged edges if you zoom in on "text".

Do icon labels on Home screen also appear jagged? How about other apps? Calendar, Mail, etc.

If the rep can't tell the diff between non- and retina just by looking at home screen, they should take an eye exam.

18. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Well, there is the answer. kalifurnia, need say no more.

19. mrgossett macrumors 6502

I just exchanged my Air for a rMini this week, and the display on my rMini is beautiful - no yellow areas or other issues that some have reported. To my eye, it's every bit as good as the Air that I had, and with a higher PPI than the Air, there's no way that anything is going to appear jagged due to a screen problem. I also had the first-gen Mini, and there IS a difference in clarity and sharpness. The only difference that I can notice between the Air I had and the rMini display is a tiny bit less color saturation (which I actually prefer compared to the Air's almost over-saturated colors).

20. bidwalj macrumors 65816

Bad resolution? It's the same as the air. Not sure what your complains are about the resolution.

Color, not noticeable on white and black text. Other colors sure.

Jagged text, unless you got some bionic eyes, there is no jaggedness what so ever.

I own both the air and retina mini so I know what I'm talking about. Need proof. Look at the attached pic. It's zoomed all the way in.

Attached Files:

21. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I still think he was looking at an original iPad Mini. On the tables at the Apple store, they only have them marked as iPad Mini or iPad Air. I saw nothing to indicate I was looking at a Retina Mini.

The first Mini I looked at may have been an original so I moved further down the table and the one I picked up was a Retina.

Even the box has only one place that there is an indication of it being a Retina and that is on the label on the bottom of the box.

22. FrankB1191 macrumors 6502a

I was watching a "Retina Mini" review on YouTube, and when the guy flipped it over, there wasn't a rear facing mic. It was a Mini 1.....! :rolleyes: :D

The local Walmart had Mini 1's on display as rMini's. They told me that the Apple rep had to put the rMini on display, so checking the back for the second mic is your best bet.

23. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

A few days ago, I went to Best buy to check out the new iPads. Even though the Air was sweet, it didn't blow me away (I have an iPad 3), but boy did the iPad mini with retina! From a standing position, I could clearly read the text. Also, the color gamut was fine. Come jan, I will be getting a mini retina.

24. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

LOL, my experience EXACTLY. Have a 3, been looking at an upgrade. Best Buy happens to have the Air and rMini right next to each other. At the Apple store they are separated. Both are great, but just really like the size of the rMini.

25. Han Solo 1 macrumors 6502

Agreed. After having an iPad 3, I tried the regular mini for a while and just wanted to puke on the screen. Looked like trash tech.

As soon as the rMini came out I dumped my larger iPad and happily snatched it up.

No jaggedness whatsoever.

And I also don't know what the "gray screen" is all about. Mine is nice and white, although I prefer the "sepia" theme when reading an ebook. I'm not a fan of all the white. I refuse to upgrade my iBooks to the new milky trash that Apple has now.