Bad Screens a "LIMITED" problem

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by CiscoGuru&aMac, Sep 15, 2007.

1. CiscoGuru&aMac macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

Ladies and Gents,

I certainly can't cite my source, however, a very close friend of mine is an Apple employee and gave me some inside info on the iPod Touch "Bad screen" issue.

He stated there is an Apple internal bulletin about it and that very few units were affected.

This is all he would say and all I know.

Nonetheless, I think it's safe to say it's safe to grab a Touch.

If you think you have the bad screen, just exchange it within 14 days for a new unit.

I hope this rests some minds.

Enjoy your pimp James Bond gear!

2. Hoopdy macrumors 6502

3. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

Don't they have a return policy of some kind? If so, don't they have to honor their policy?

4. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

best buy does 30 days on almost everything, I asked when I bought my 16gb touch.

If the issue is really there, I still have alot of time. Can't decide if it's there though, or if I even care.

5. volumecontrol macrumors newbie

Just from the fact that some people are reporting problems and some aren't, and I've seen pics of bad units and good ones, you could tell this was a limited problem. However, since not that many people have them yet, I'd be willing to bet that there are still some bad units out there.

6. CiscoGuru&aMac thread starter macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

I have 2 dead pixels on mine, I might go ahead and return the one I bought.

Every major release has these issues.

Some people are super anal about this stuff.

I think some people are looking for stuff so much they completely kill the enjoyment of owning the unit in the first place.

7. CiscoGuru&aMac thread starter macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

I haven't heard this.

You have 14 days to return your merchandise with Apple.

8. EnTg888 macrumors member

They charge a 10% restocking fee for open items, even within the 14 days. Some people have been getting this fee waived by a Genius, i think.
    (on a side note, my local best buy also charges a 15% restocking.)

9. SpruceGoose macrumors newbie

With all due respect, the defect people are experiencing with the negative/shimmering black tones is much more significant than a dead pixel or two. When I looked at my wife's ipod today the first thing we watched was a video from The Egg "Love Don't Let Me Go". We were blown away, beautiful image quality, clarity and a true joy to behold. This was a very light video with very few dark images.

However, after we had loaded on The Empire Strikes Back we were shocked at the virtually unviewable darker hues. When entire scenes of movies are like this, I don't believe it's people being anal, it's a major defect with some units.

I've been a user of Apple products for close to 25 years now, and my first reaction to a new product is not to try to find fault with it, but rather to enjoy it. Prior to the ipod touch the only item I've been less than 100% satisfied with was my 20" cinema display several years ago, so I do not consider myself hyper-critical. If anything I'm probably more forgiving of minor defects than most as I'm not an audiophile or professional video editor, etc. I'm a normal person with enough common sense to know when a product does not meet basic standards of acceptability.

10. CiscoGuru&aMac thread starter macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

Well, I am more referring to simply exchanging the unit, not so much returning the unit. So I should have been more clear.

11. CiscoGuru&aMac thread starter macrumors member

CiscoGuru&aMac

I wasn't mentioning dead pixels in the same breath with the so called "Green Screen" issue. As I initially stated, there is a tech bulletin about it. Ultimately it's the customer who must decide whether they have a bad screen or not. It's the customer's eyes that must look at the screen.

If you're not happy, exchange it for a new one. I think if enough people aren't happy, Mr. Jobs is going to have a big problem on his hands.

Personally though, I think the "Green Screen" thing is mainly people not understanding that this unit is more sensitive to angle than the iPhone. I AM NOT SAYING EVERY CASE, however, I think many people are freaking out and don't actually even have the issue on their Touch's.

12. SpruceGoose macrumors newbie

There is some truth to this. I have seen posts where people are questioning whether or not their ipod touch has the problem with black tones. From what I've seen, if you have to ask yourself if the issue does or doesn't exist on your unit it probably doesn't. You'll know for certain if your ipod does this or not, it's almost impossible to not notice. In that regard I think some people may be looking for trouble where none exists, but I do also believe the number of people who are certain about the defect on their ipod are not over reacting. Here is hoping it is limited and that Apple makes things right for their customers who have been impacted with a replacement.

We've debated taking my wife's ipod back tomorrow, but we're going to wait a couple days, see what Apple says, if they have identified a series of serial numbers as bad, etc, so we don't exchange one bad unit for another.

13. Sir. Cheesecake macrumors member

Something tells me a manufacturer in China has been on the phone with apples lawyers. Hope everyone gets their ipods fixed though.