Bad Screens: One Common Test Video/Image?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by aidanpendragon, Sep 15, 2007.

1. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to decide if my 16GB has the blacks problem or not...certainly can't view it head-on without getting greens, etc., but at a very slight angle, some video is OK, others (dark scenes) are rough. But the source material isn't the best.

Can we nominate & agree on one single, ideal "test" image or video - something that, when you view it, you *know* "I have a problem" or "my iPod is within spec"?

I've heard some folks mention Empire Strikes Back, and will be trying that as an MP4 shortly.

(Head-on/top-down, I have negatives, no matter how dark/light the scene. At a slight angle, things are OK; 45 degrees or more, the whole screen takes on a bluish cast. I can't tell if this is bad, or I'm just being influenced by the horror stories floating around and mine is OK.)

2. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

An actual LCD test website that has been suggested might help.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

People could post their results (bad and good) specifically to test it out. Just a thought.

3. aidanpendragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, THAT'S interesting - on the very 1st test, I get good progressions for almost every color, EXCEPT below about 6. 1-6, regardless of color, is very dark or black.

Quoth the site: "A bad monitor will not show the leftmost few rectangles." Guess my Touch has "a bad monitor"!

I'm not quite sure what that means - other than the darkest (blackest) gammas don't do very well. Which corresponds nicely to the problems reported, i.e., blacks look bad.

EDIT: I still do think, especially for the purpose of convincing Geniuses, that we need a single compelling video image that produces an "oh crap, the screen is bad!" moment.