bad shadows

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by mrmo123, Oct 27, 2014.

1. mrmo123 macrumors newbie

I'm getting really bad shadows :( I was wondering if anyone else has this problem??? I'm on an Early 2014 MBA; my Yosemite had been upgraded from the beta. I'm wondering if being on the beta is the issue.

Here are some screenshots.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

How are the shadows bad?

Please: bad in what ways?

(That's not a trick question, just recognising that perceptions of good and bad differ.)

3. mrmo123, Oct 27, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014

mrmo123 thread starter macrumors newbie

For the dock on a white background (3rd picture), the halo around the dock doesn't look correct. Maybe it's because the MBA isn't retina that I can see it and you can't??

Additionally, resetting the PRAM doesn't help

4. mrmo123 thread starter macrumors newbie

i'm mainly wondering if it's just me or if everyone's yosemite looks like mine

5. grahamperrin, Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

A brief answer, without reference to any Dock: when I last checked, some of the perceived differences are not yet explained, not yet understood; and some of those actual differences (or differences in perception) are unrelated to normal use of non-Retina hardware.

Screenshots of OS X 10.9.5 attached. Our preferred orientations differ but in both cases I think the shadow is as it should be, fairly even around three 'edges' of the Dock.

For a designer's attention to detail, an eye that's far superior to mine, this chap comes to mind: https://twitter.com/eli_schiff/status/492504341262004224

One of his more recent shots, of shadows around UI elements with very varied positions (overwhelmingly user-defined) – https://twitter.com/eli_schiff/status/526137695366418433 – may help you to decide for yourself whether the shadow in your case appears proper for a single UI element with a much more predictable position (momentarily user-defined then infinitely system-defined).

Light, dark, shadow and headings

One of your other screenshots:

[​IMG]

That's the head to a (possibly empty) list of notifications, yes?

Without reviewing other recent points of reference in this forum: I see, first and foremost – reading top to bottom, left to right – the bright 'Notifications' text shining through a dark background. So whilst it's not in your screenshot, I expect to see bright text, on a dark background, below the heading with those same qualities.

Also: the button to the left is outstanding (standing out, towards me, not pressed in towards the screen).

Attached Files:

6. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

Your shadows look perfectly fine. Like you said maybe retina users (not me) have an even smoother shape. But why are using a white background?!?!?!?!? :eek:;)

7. HaruAoki macrumors member

HaruAoki

Try a different wallpaper it would be the white one you have on, but they look alright for me.

On my 5k iMac, 2013 iMac and Macbook Pro 13-inch no retina the shadows looks fine. Would like them to but abit smaller around windows, but I don't really mind.

8. mrmo123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply! The problem with photo number 2 was as you predicted, there were no notifications. I pressed tab and realized it was just highlighting the selected item.

I just realized that all the screenshots look completely normal (no rigid shadows) on my desktop. The problem with the rigid shadows is from the angle at which I have been using my laptop (laying down on my stomach). So instead of the normal 90 deg to the screen, it was more extreme. Below is a picture taken with my iPhone!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for giving me some piece of mind that my computer is fine.