Bad signal on replacement iPhone 5 - is this possible?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zoonyx, Jun 5, 2014.

1. zoonyx macrumors 6502

I've got a genius bar appt tonight about this, but thought I'd post and collect some views here too :)

I have had an iPhone 5 from launch. It was great, no problems, but after about 18 months (End of March this year), it developed a 'halo' effect around the edge of the screen.

I'm in the UK, which means apple will fix/replace iPhone's for 2 years if you bought in an apple store, so I went and made a genius bar appointment.

Apple were as per usual brilliant, offered to repair or just replace the unit with a brown box refurb, and I chose the refurb option.

What a mistake. Oddly the new iPhone is great in all ways, apart from the fact the signal is noticably worse. Where I would have got 5 bars, I get 3, and where the signal was always a bit dodgy, I now get No Signal popping up. It also seems to lose the data carrier signal a lot more, even when I do have a signal.

Is this possible? Did I just have a good one before, and now I'm Mr Average, or what? On a side note, while messing about trying to fix, I noticed the sim card tray doesn't fit completely flush with the side of the phone.

I'm 99% sure this isn't all in my head - but I welcome your views? Any comments or experiences with similar symptoms?

Cheers!

2. zoonyx thread starter macrumors 6502

No replies, but anyway... I went - got the same genius as last time and he swapped it out without issue - really good service as usual - and the new phone is as good as the original, so clearly some weird issue going off!

3. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

I am starting to get terrible signal on my phone, I am also in the UK but I would like to know is it 100% that they will change your phone if you bought it from store during the 2 years? this is the first of 3 iphones ive never had changed and I got it launch day.

4. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

The signal strength on my i5 has always been pi** poor compared to the iPhone 4 before it.

5. ourmountain macrumors regular

Had the same issue with an iPhone 5. Horrible reception. Apple replaced it no issue, and it was fine after that.

6. UnluckyXIII macrumors 6502

Both my iPhone 5's have had poor signal in comparison to my previous iPhones and they are noticeably worse then family members who have other handsets on the same network as me. Get it swapped and see if it fixes the problem!!

7. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer