Bad Signal Strength? Or Is It Just Mine?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shawnb2, Jul 12, 2008.

1. shawnb2 macrumors newbie

My 3G is horrible with signal strength. I can have it side by side with my old phone which is now my wife's. Her phone here at home will be at full strength while the new phone is constantly bouncing around. Never above 3 bars and usually around 1 or 2. Isn't just at home either. Thinking unless other people are saying they are having the same issues and even if they are I am going to try and switch for a new phone. I think this antenna is messed up or something. Not a happy camper!!

2. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

3. tomjleeds macrumors 6502

Turn off 3G and you should see the same strength as with your original iPhone. When you have 3G signal, less than perfect or otherwise, it won't look for GSM signal.

4. shawnb2 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. I gotcha. Didn't realize AT&T used seperate networks for edge and 3G. Been used to Verizon I guess that it's all on the same. Figured it was just a matter of phone capabilities. Thanks for the help. Definitely much happier now.

5. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Why are you much happier now? You're paying for a 3G phone and it's fast data services. I'm also betting your area shows 'full coverage', have you looked up the coverage map on the at&t site? What does it say your 3G coverage is?

6. crea78 macrumors newbie

My white 16GB iPhone 3G is doing the same as the OP, but it also occurs with Wi-Fi on as well. I get faster download speeds from Safari compared to Edge using 3G, but nowhere near the speed of Wi-Fi. I live in a 3G area (Charlotte, NC), but having no to very little bars bothers me some. With 3G & Wi-Fi turned off, Edge has full bars.

I'm thinking about taking this phone back to AT&T and see what they have to say. Also, I've been recharging the battery 2x per day which is a little excessive. Granted, I do quite a bit of Internet browsing and watching music videos, but the battery shouldn't deplete that much. Also, I'm using the phone with mostly Wi-Fi on.