Bad Situation Turned Good, Now Need Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mjones185, Jul 9, 2009.

1. mjones185 macrumors regular

Hi all,

In Sep 2007 I bought my first mac which was a 24in iMac (Silver), I took it home and it was dead from start. I took it back and learned that apple stores give military discounts so I went to the McAuther Center apple store in Va. Got another 24in iMac, worked great for a few months and noticed the screen was developing severe lines, I took it in and they replaced the screen, it was bad, they replaced the iMac. The second iMac had two seperate DVD drives go bad and in June this year it starting have severe freezing and boot issues. Apple store replaced it. Today that darn imac died, hard drive failure. after all the trouble I had with imacs the apple store gave me a gift card for a full refund to include taxes.

So, now I'm seriously thinking about a Mac Pro 2.66 or 2.93. Is the Mac Pro more robust and reliable than the imac?

Reason I ask is ok, one, maybe two computers bad, but four. Maybe I've god bad luck with iMac's but never the less I'm off to Korea for a year and the last thing I want to deal with is computer issues. I can say I go to the apple store often and I see tons of laptops and iMac's being troubleshot but I've not seen the first Mac pro.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It's definitely more robust. Obviously monitor issues are not a real problem with the Mac Pro. Hard Drive failure is more dependent on the quality of said hard drive then of the computer proper. However, Mac Pro's definitely have their share of logic board failures, which are problematic.

3. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

Mac Pros are great but if you travel with the military why not got for a Macbook Pro?

4. mjones185 thread starter macrumors regular

I failed to mention I have a 2008 15in Macbook Pro I use for traveling. My wife has a 13in white Macbook and my kids have a new mac mini. I've just had huge amounts of iMac issues.

For as Mac Pros would yaw say it would be luck of the draw for as getting a good one? I'd certainly get apple care as that's what saved me on the iMac.

BTW, reason I like having a desktop and laptop is if my desktop is busy doing what ever I got it doing I can then use my laptop for what ever.

Mike