Bad Speedtest Results- Worth Taking Back For A Swap?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ahambone, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Ahambone macrumors newbie

First of all, let me say that I was looking for a similar thread on this topic, but I was unable to find it using the search function.

I am getting pretty crappy speeds with five full bars of 3G on my 3GS (300kpbs down). In addition, I had my phone side-by-side with a friend's phone yesterday, and her was blazing fast on 3G; mine crawled in comparison.

I was thinking of waiting until 3.1 to see if that fixed my 3g problems, but now I'm wondering- after watching my phone perform crappily in my informal side-by-side test, and seeing what other people have gotten with 3G on Speedtest- should I just take this thing back now?

Attached Files:

2. dread macrumors 6502a

sometimes I get less than 50 kb/s on 3g. It just depends on how much bandwidth you are getting from at&t. That being said I am going to the apple store because my service is horrible on my 3gs.

3. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

Did your friend have an iphone, was he even on att's network?

Even if both of the above were true, speeds can very quite a bit. Just the thought of someone wanting to return their phone biased off of the results of one speed test is crazy. Test it many many more times. Also might I add the results that you got are not all that bad, that is still plenty decent to browse the web and load youtube videos.

4. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I normally get 1000 KB (not kilobits) download, and 30KB upload from my speed test, as low as 400KB for download though.

Kind Regards

5. Ahambone thread starter macrumors newbie

Both phones were the iPhone 3G S; both on AT&T's network, side-by-side, running an informal test on a bunch of different websites that neither phone had pre-loaded caches of- her phone smoked mine on each website, by as many as 15 seconds.

I've been running a bunch of Speed Tests throughout the day; they've all been resulting in a Down speed of around 250-350kpbs.

6. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I would go try it in numerous areas around here. At home, I get a pretty consistent 2.2 Mbps. But as I go around the county, it can drop to maybe 600-800 kbps. The best test is to find someone else with the same model iPhone and do side-by-side tests.

7. Ahambone thread starter macrumors newbie

That's a good idea. Just so happens that my friend & I will both be in Palm Springs, Ca. this weekend- I'll try a bunch of side-by-side tests out there. The previous side-by-side tests were out in Santa Monica, Ca.

I'll at least give it the weekend before I make any appointments to do equipment swaps.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Also try a restore to see if that makes a difference.

9. scottuf macrumors 6502

i've been getting terrible wifi speeds on my 3gs, so i took it into the apple store yesterday and compared to their wifi to make sure it wasn't my home access point. my wifi speeds are pretty much the same as 3g speeds, so what's the point. anyways, still much slower. the genius takes a look and pulls out his 3gs for comparison. his speeds are double/triple mine, so he set it up for a swap out. they didn't have any in stock so i'll be getting it today or tomorrow.

so yes, slow speeds can be phone dependent, so might as well try a swap.

10. whitlecj macrumors member

I am getting very similar numbers to the original poster. Looks like I may be paying a visit to the ATT store today for a swap as well.

11. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I would be surprised if you can just walk into an AT&T store, show them a slow speed test, and expect a new phone.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No you don't. 1,000 kilobytes a second is 8,000 kilobits a second which is 7.8 megabits a second. The 3G HSDPA is capable of 7.2 maximum and no one would likely ever get anywhere close to that.