Bad Thunderbolt Display repair job

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by AppleFanBoy888, Mar 9, 2012.

1. AppleFanBoy888, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

AppleFanBoy888 macrumors member

Hi all,

I have just received my Thunderbolt Display back from Apple after replacing the display panel and I am disappointed how Apple handled my display. I have 3 dents near the base and 1 under the Apple Logo. They didn't even clean the screen or glass, so many smears inside the glass and screen! What should I do? I don't think Apple can do anything about the dents since they have no proof that they dented it but can Apple still clean my screen? If so, can they do it in store or will they have to take it in? I just can't wait another week, I already waited 2 weeks for the display repair.

2. EmlynDewar macrumors member

Take it back and demand a replacement, not a bodge repair.

Absolutely useless to charge for a premium product, then treat the customer (and their purchase) like dirt afterwards.

3. AppleFanBoy888, Mar 9, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2012

AppleFanBoy888 thread starter macrumors member

I called Apple and they said it was not necessary for a replacement Thunderbolt Display but they can replace the enclosure and clean the screen but I would have to pay for everything. :mad: I don't know what to do now. :(

4. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Call them back and don't give up. There is no reason you should pay for a bodged repair and damage they did.

I had a PowerMac G5 that came back from repair with a bent foot, Apple replaced the whole machine.

5. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Call a different day and hope you get a nicer rep. Or take it back to the Apple store and see if they will resolve it for free.

6. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Agreed. If you have an Apple Store nearby take it there. You might have better luck showing it to someone and explaining what happened. If that's not an option call again and speak so a different rep.

7. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

what went wrong w/ the display to begin with, incidentally? have two of 'em, so piqued my curiosity

8. AppleFanBoy888 thread starter macrumors member

I just got back from the Apple Store and they said nothing was wrong with it and the dents are "normal wear and tear". :confused: I am now wondering if I should clean the screen myself... Should I?

There were spots on the display. Pictures: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1330006

9. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Make an appointment to the Apple store but at a different time to get a different group of Geniuses to look at it (if there are no other Apple stores around). Otherwise, try a different Apple store.