Bad Thunderbolt ports??

Discussion in 'iMac' started by meaganmargaret, Mar 8, 2013.

1. meaganmargaret macrumors newbie

So, I thought I had an external drive problem. My drive wouldn't work on either of my Thunderbolt ports on my 2011 Imac. Then I connected the same thunderbolt drive and adapter to my Mac Air, and it worked.

It's a 2011 Imac, Intel core i7, lots of memory, everything works BUT both of my Thunderbolt ports. In system info, they both show up. And, they do supply power, as the drives spins up, but is never seen within the OS. Disk utility doesn't see it either. So, while the ports are supplying power, something else isn't right. After all, the drive does mount via Thunderbolt on my Mac Air.

This *****, but I need some help. Any thoughts out there? Any debug troubleshooting masters out there? To any Apple employees, what's the nearest repair facility to 94595?

Thanks in advance............

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Id recommend that you make a Genius Bar appointment at your closest Apple Store and take it there.

/Jim

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

Possibly an OS issue. Try resetting SMC/PRAM, and failing that try a reinstall of OSX.

4. harlex macrumors member

Interesting point, my thunderbolt cables managed to go into imac sockets either way round for some reason very easily and of course it only works the correct way. It is a shame they didn't make it fool proof.

5. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan